iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any sawmills near Long Island NY ?

Started by Daren, June 08, 2010, 01:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I will look through my own compiled list and send a shout out to some sawyers (assuming I find some), but I thought I would bring it up here too. I got a call from a business/land owner who has a 20 acre "waste wood" processing facility. Long story short they sold the land and the logs have got to go.

She said they take short lengths and make firewood and hardwood mulch...but have no way to process the log lengths and they piled up. She was on the road when I returned her call, when she gets back to the place she is sending pictures of what she said was a wall of logs 30' high and 1/2 mile+ long , free for the taking (was my understanding, they were paid to take them in the first place, now they gotta go)

A guy like me would be like a kid in a candy store, millions of bft all in a pile. She said cherry, walnut, oak, apple...My minds eye sees me digging through 100,000  logs and finding a semi load of "special" logs. (don't need a million bft of oak right now  ::))

So if you "know a guy" or are a sawyer near there I can give you the ladies contact info (she sounds like a real hoot on the phone)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Daren

Dave Shepard

After the good logs are taken out, it looks like it would be a great place for a firewood processor shootout. :D

But, yo
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

LOGDOG

Wow! If I was in close proximity to that place I'd be all over that. There's several ways a guy could go with that. Firewood, Mulch, pallet (set up a small scragg mill onsite to bang out cants etc, mill the bigger logs for grade. The problem is trucking it anywhere before it's processed - which is what they're faced with at this point likely. They're probably scheduled to close on the property on a certain date if it hasn't happened already and have to have the wood removed by a certain date specified in the contract. So barring a solution, they'll end up needing to pay someone to take it from them, similar to the guys that paid them to take it the first time. I'd raise my hand on that one if they are willing to pay to have it hauled away. .....Grind that stuff and sell it for boiler fuel ...  :o I know ... a waste but that's a bunch of wood to move by a deadline. 

Dan_Shade

looks like a candidate for a huge fire :(
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

LOGDOG

I had read this in the "...bundled firewood" thread earlier:

sdunston
Full Member x2

My Photos: Go to my Photo Gallery
Forecast: Audio

New York (the great tax state)

Re: To Maximize your profits, consider bundled firewood
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 06:35:11 am »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good idea. Here in the great tax state of NY fire wood can olny travel 40 miles unless it is kiln dried. It is to cut down on the long haired bettle or sum bug
Sam

Report to moderator    Logged 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

I wonder if that isn't part of the issue with getting it out of there. If it is then Dan hit it on the head.

Daren

I got some more info. The sale of the land is not final, just planned (dissolution of marriage/business) so I don't think it is a tight deadline. She even said "pick and chose" was welcome, as long as they are leaving it is a step forward. The have their own firewood processor/crew and sub out a tub grinder/crew (for $4000 a day, when needed) to make mulch. But the full length logs just sorta got pushed off to the side since the short lengths were easier for both crews to deal with. And I don't think there is any softwood there. She talks fast (any kinda funny with a NY accent  :D) but my understanding was all the softwood went to another place for biofuel. She sent 10 pictures I uploaded this one to my gallery but forgot to put it in my first post. And I want to say hi to some old friends  smiley_wavy...I have been away for awhile.

LOGDOG

Good to see you Daren. You're missed when you're absent. I thought about you the other day when I was in Academy Sporting Goods Store in the fishing lure isle. I was looking at Rapala's and other plugs and your lures came to mind. Wondered what you were up to these days.  :)

Daren

Oh ya' know, same old stuff. Lumber sales are slow so I am milling weird logs in weird ways to try to fill niches...wanna see some pictures ?

Twin walnuts, the bigger sets (table top slabs) are ~36" x 48" cut 10/4

And I am bored with straight logs...these catalpa slabs should make neat benches.

Still chasing anything curly. I watched this tree stand on a vacant lot for over a year before they developed it and I got the butt log.

LOGDOG

As usual Daren, you're a genius with the camera, the mill, and pairing specialty cuts. Good looking stuff. Any pictures of finished projects lately?

els512

How can I contact the owner.  I am located on Long Island

Daren

I sent you a PM with her contact info.

dgolon

Does anyone know of Bio fuel facilities in the New York or Long Island area? I am looking to get rid of waste products.

Thanks

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.
Tell us about your operation. Easier to give you some help to your questions.

Hint: Only need to post once.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dgolon

I work for a high end tree service, we end up with a varying amount of wood chips each week somewhere between 50-175 yards a week. We currently pay to dump than for quite a fee and am looking to get rid of them cheaper or even sell them.

Thanks

Thank You Sponsors!