iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

refer/insulated containers or truck boxes

Started by thechknhwk, April 23, 2016, 11:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechknhwk

I'm having a hard time finding an insulated container or refer truck box without the refer unit.  Anyone have any ideas?  I don't mind driving a bit to get it.  I'd like to get a 26-28' box, but I would settle for a 40' container at which point I'd have to have it delivered.  Thanks for any advice.

YellowHammer

As you are finding out, it is very difficult to get a good, sound container that doesn't still have a fridge unit and isn't still serviceable.  They only want to sell the bad units that have reached the end of their life and are beat up.  So I made a deal, bought one with the freezer unit, then worked out a price where they salvaged the freezer and gave me a credit it for it.  I also used that $$ to have them replace all the seals and give it a once over.  I don't know if they repaired the freezer unit or sold it for the scrap metal, but all I had to do was fill in the holes when they pulled it out. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

DR_Buck

I assume you are going to use it for a kiln box?   I bought 2 insulated containers several years ago.  Both are 20' long.   40' are VERY hard to get as you already know.   Most container suppliers that would have them are near the coastal ports.  Both of mine came out of Baltimore.  Containers were $1800.   Deliver was annother $500 or $600 each.

I use both for storing kiln dried lumber.   I built my kiln before considering the insulated containers.   The kiln is the box off an old US Mail truck insulated with 2" foam board.    The foam board cost me all most as much as what buying the 20' container was.

Good luck with your search.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

thechknhwk

Yeah, it's for a kiln box.  I found one on CL, but it's only 24' long which means I can't get three 8' stacks or two 12' stacks in there.  I requested a quote on a 40' and they never answered....

scsmith42

Quote from: thechknhwk on April 25, 2016, 01:53:43 AM
Yeah, it's for a kiln box.  I found one on CL, but it's only 24' long which means I can't get three 8' stacks or two 12' stacks in there.  I requested a quote on a 40' and they never answered....

What kiln unit are you planning to install and what thickness/species of lumber do you want to dry?

A 20' insulated container will only fit two stacks of 48" x 96" x 60" tall, or 1000 board feet, so an L200 would be way oversized for it (but an L53 would work out).
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

thechknhwk

I have an L200.  If I ever get it setup I'll probably start by drying a bunch of poplar (aspen) for my ceiling and then it could be anything, maple, oak, pine.  I assume it would be mostly 1" stuff.

thechknhwk

Anyone care to divulge what these things are going for if you know?  Every website I find them on you have to submit for a quote.  thanks

DR_Buck

Quote from: thechknhwk on April 26, 2016, 01:38:59 AM
Anyone care to divulge what these things are going for if you know?  Every website I find them on you have to submit for a quote.  thanks

Depends on where you are located and delivery costs.  Here on the mid east coadt they are $1500 - $3000.    Sometime shipping is in included.   

Over tha last 10 years I bought 7 of them.   Cheapest was $600 from a local guy.   It costan additional $300 to get it delivered.   It was a 20 ft box.      Most expensive was $1800 for a 40 ft one.  Deliver was $900 for 150 miles.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

thechknhwk

Sorry to make you repeat yourself, I know I read it the first time then blocked it out when I was looking again last night.  Thanks for the response.

Thank You Sponsors!