iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Will this work as a logging truck

Started by franknzupan, November 05, 2018, 09:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I was lucky. When we was selling logs,more than 20 years ago,we had a trucker that would come in most times,2 days,truck to whatever we wanted.  There was some that tried to say I could make more money if I had a truck. ???  We was only cutting at best 1 load a week. Only had a tractor and my days off to get the wood to the landing. Than If I was driving,who's cutting the wood??
I wonder if you would be better off with a trailer? Yes,might have to make 2 trips,but cheaper. A loader on a trailer would do it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Puffergas

Shorten it to 8 foot bed and use it as a tractor. Have a log trailer, lumber and dump trailer. The left over frame could be the start for a trailer build.   ;)
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

bigblue12v

I hope i'm not making too many assumptions here, but 500+ acres is a big parcel of land. You didn't say exactly how many acres you're wanting to clear or even select cut on, but you will spend a lot of the rest of your life working on this. Which possibly is your goal? I'm not certain there. Have you successfully cut timber before, safely and correctly in such fashion as not to destroy the tree? Can you do directional felling? Again not trying to jump to too many conclusions. Many are giving great truck advice but I'm wondering if this is getting the cart before the horse is even born... Hate to see you put a truck together or buy a truck, trailer and machine, go out with your new saw and cut one tree, have it barber chair or go the wrong way or whatever, and end up deciding it's not your thing then selling it all at a loss when your wife insists that you cease and desist this new pasttime you've come up with...

I'm all for simplifying it... unless you wanna work your retirement away and work yourself into the ground early, I'd suggest you find a good local logger who will work your timber for you. Then once the revenue starts rolling in, look for a dump truck and track loader, trailer, mini excavator, whatever you want for your dirt and brush work. As far as what sizes, the advice given here is all great. The only thing I can add to that is, size it according to your work pace. If you only wanna fool around a few hours a day, there's no need to go get a tri-axle and all that....
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

mike_belben

Unless you have a slam dunk contract job lined up or a best friend/family member in the lowboy business, only buy the size machine you can legally-ish transport.   Buying something you cant move that you will need to move is a huge drain.  4 yrs i got a crawler loader backhoe in mass that i needed the last 2 in TN.  Urghh...

Lotta log trucks on LSN up into kentucky
Praise The Lord

Brian w

I am a logger in southeast Ohio and I just recently went biggerr. By that I mean tandem axle truck big skidder bigger loader with sawbuck. But I have a good idea of what you want to do. I would suggest a single axle flat dump Ford 700 size or international 4700  and a good size four wheel drive tractor with a pro driven winch and front-end loader so you can use it with a bucket for gravel and put forks on for logs for just a part time logger and a one man show at that that will do just fine and work for multiple purposes

Thank You Sponsors!