This weeks paycheck

Started by Mlamountain, June 26, 2011, 03:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mlamountain

Not a bad haul this week for a one man band

I wish all the trees were this big

Magicman

Congrats, good weeks sure help out the slow ones.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lumberjack48

How many cords did you pull? I worked alone a lot.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Mlamountain

Just under 5000 boardfeet of logs and 8 cords of loglength.   Not bad considering it rained everyday

lumberjack48

In 1985 my pay check would have been only $360.00 on the landing for that much wood, about one days work.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Mlamountain

Yah.  I get more than that just for the firewood.   Nevermind the logs.   This woodlot is surrounded by houses so I usually don't start any machines before 8 and I try not to move the machines around to much when it rains everyday.  It only rained everyday this week. 

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

clww

I usually get paid at the completion of each tree removal job. The bigger residential trees  take me 2 months as it's just me, and part-time at that. So that would be 6 paychecks a year. Now for the firewood that I turn those trees into, that's where my real money making is. Once the cold weather hits, on a good weekend, that'll be 6 paychecks at $200 per cord!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Mlamountain

I try to send one load of logs to the mill each week then the truck comes back and grabs a load of firewood.   It's not a million bucks but it beats working at walmart.   I've been cutting splitting & delivering firewood nearly everyday for the last 5 years and I really don't care if I never split firewood again other than for my house.   I like cutting the firewood 25 feet long rather than 16 inches.   

BnBlogging

i like your philosophy Mlamountain. Im not out in the woods cutting every day for the money, i do it for the love of  doing it. Looks like a good pile of logs for a one man band!

Ed_K

I like cutting to 20' also.Like you I did firewood and blew out both rotator cuffs throwing wood on a 1ton.I still do 5 cords for the house but rita does the stacking,I cut 4'and split then cut to 16" right at the wood shed.The 4'ers come in using the forestry trailer.
What I'd really like would be to win a flat lot for once,getting sick of side hill skidding.I'm planning on having the rear tries filled with beet juice before starting the next job which is another up&down skid  :( .
Ed K

Mlamountain

More pics from this week

I just took down the last tree today on this job.  I have to spend the next week cleaning the tops and piling brush then its on to the next.  I found a guy with 5 acres just about 6 miles frrom this job with just as nice timber as this one.

Autocar

Sounds like your in the cruve  ;) Keep it up and your next job will be just as good.
Bill

logman81

Nice logs Mlamountain stay safe out there!
Precision Firewood & Logging

a old timberjack

Quote from: Mlamountain on June 26, 2011, 09:19:13 PM
I try to send one load of logs to the mill each week then the truck comes back and grabs a load of firewood.   It's not a million bucks but it beats working at walmart.   I've been cutting splitting & delivering firewood nearly everyday for the last 5 years and I really don't care if I never split firewood again other than for my house.   I like cutting the firewood 25 feet long rather than 16 inches.  10-4!!!!  i totally agree on the firewood thing!!!!
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

logman81

I also agree on cutting the firewood too 25 makes it go a lot faster, that is when you have a buyer for it.

Kansas

I thought about becoming a part time greeter at Walmart, but don't imagine I would last long if I tell everyone that comes in to go shop somewhere else.

The third picture down on the last picture series, what kind of log is that? What species did you log?

logman81

Mlamountain

This job was 95% red oak.  It was pretty warm out so the logs were losing moisture pretty quickly. 

Thank You Sponsors!