iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thoughts on tree pushers?

Started by Offthebeatenpath, December 15, 2013, 12:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Never had a need for such a device. If the tree didn't fall when severed, hook a choker on and winch it down and keep on skid'n. Usually if it was a great big old rock maple, everything around it was a lot smaller, and a heavy tree like that comes down.

If pinch'n the saw is the issue, dad would say, don't do that no more. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offthebeatenpath

I hear what you're saying Swamp Donkey, but you're not likely to pinch your saw if you're bore cutting and only apply pressure once the backstrap and holding wood remain.  Of course, the process is a lot easier with one guy on the skidder and one with saw in hand, but that scenario also has it's potential hazards...
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

loggah

working on steep ground ,its a lot nicer being able to push the tree up the hill instead of having to fight with all the brush in a top ahead falling situation, plus like i said you can keep more of the leaders on the stem . if you have a bunch of steep ground to work you want a fairly long tree pusher so when you back to the tree you can still use your saw ,and the bottom of your buttplate dont hit the tree first. You worked in Waterville valley where my father and i logged on national forest land ,and you know what i mean on steep ground !! ;D ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

SwampDonkey

Up here the way hills have been logged is the road is built to the top and everything yarded up. So, the tree falls down hill and the cable skidder guy walks down hill easier than up to hook on said felled tree. I've seen lots of skidders go from gully bottom to the top loaded. Never did that here, because never had a hill anywhere on 800 acres. Nice and rolling, but not steep rolls.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offthebeatenpath

Different terrain, different methods for sure.  I kinda like the sounds of your terrain Swamp Donkey.

I'll have a crew in Waterville Valley for three months next summer Don, it would be nice to catch up at some point.  We won't be logging, but building a new hiking trail across some really steep rocky slopes.  Hurricane Irene wiped out the old trail along Flume Brook and we'll be rebuilding higher up the mountain.  Coincidentally enough, we'll tie into a trail named "Old Skidder".  There's lots of evidence of logging in the area and I love trying to sleuth out the historic skid roads and landings.  You could probably teach me a bunch about the history of the area Don.  Unfortunately, all the old skid trails are oriented the opposite way that we need to build the trail, so we were unable to utilize them for the most part.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

loggah

Years ago  when i worked for Waterville co ,i ran there 450 jd putting in a bunch of their cross country ski trails.  We cut the snows mt trails, and i dozed up towards avalanche and caskade brook on those trails. I been all over that whole bowl ,cutting and building ski trails. Let me know when your up there.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

jdatwood

Offthebeatenpath

Nice looking skidder jdatwood!  Looks like its in even better shape than mine.  Do you have any close up photos of the pusher?  Where are you in Maine?

jdatwood

Hi, that's actually a photo off the web that I found when I was looking into fabricating one. Unfortunately it's the only pic I could find. I haven't built one yet myself but I will at some point. I am located in the town of Benton. You've got a nice assortment of toys there!

Stephen Alford

Ta Da !!

Decided to go with a piece of Ibeam 14" which fit between the rollers allowing their removal. Replacing the bearings in the rollers as well so they are off in the pic. Thank- You Black_Bear for your inspiration. Once I smelled what you were cookin all went well.  ;D  I know she is not a looker but she has cunits of personality.
   On another note remounted the canines to stop roll back on a slope. Tried them on front this time so they do not scarf stuff and put the holding mounts on the blade to reduce log rollover when piling. Lowered the arch by 1&1/2' to reduce her profile to keep her in the petite category. She is so self conscious of her weight, poor thing.  :D

logon

Offthebeatenpath

Dang Stephen, impressive follow through.  One day you say you're thinking of making a pusher and BAM- done and then some... I get the feeling that you're not sitting idle on the couch very much.

The pusher looks like it will work great. Nice idea with the beam.  I like the canines too.  Must be pretty quick to move them from the top of the blade to underneath.

OntarioAl

Folks
Best investment I ever made was to trade a regular dozer blade plus some labour for one with a bill for piling etc.
For pushing trees unbeatable, just drive up with the blade up bill fully extended you are now pushing at least 10ft above ground level. On level ground  I just set the parking brake on steeper ground I shut the machine down and leave it in gear (no danger  of rolling) Notch the tree  back cut leaving slightly more hinge) some  hop back on the machine and push the tree over .
Thanks
Al

Al Raman

jdatwood

It's finally done! It was easier to build this than to upload the stupid photo  :D

beenthere

Nothing stupid about that photo..  a good one and good looking push bar.   smiley_thumbsup

Used it in the woods yet? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jdatwood

Thanks, haven't tried it yet I just finished it. Should work very nice.

Maine logger88

That looks great you will love it!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

treechopper40

my c5 treefarmer has a pusher on the arch but my case skidking don't have a pusher it will when it comes home for breakup this year ther handy as a pocket on a shirt
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

jdatwood

"Handy as a pocket on a shirt" that's my new favorite quote!

Offthebeatenpath

The pusher looks great Jdatwood!  Although I'd love to make a similar one for my JD, I don't have the metal stock on hand or the tools to fab one up right now.  If you ever get a hankering to make another one like yours and sell it, let me know.  I may be interested.

Where are you in Maine?

Jed

jdatwood

The fab work isn't too bad offthebeatenpath, I made a cardboard template for the side brackets and top. Basically just trace it out on steel (I used 3/4"x6")  Next cut it out with torches to get close and then just clean up with a grinder. I cut the teeth with a sawzall. The beauty of using the stock I did was the benefit of some factory edges to help with squareness. I don't weld so I hired that out. I'm located in the town of Benton. If you ever want to trace a template out your welcome to stop by.

Offthebeatenpath

Thanks for the offer.  I might take you up on it.  I have a good stick welder, but no torches. Might be time to invest...

Thank You Sponsors!