iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This weekend's pile

Started by jwilly3879, February 10, 2014, 07:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

80-100 trees an hour that's one tree hitting the ground every .6 -.75 seconds.

Firewoodjoe

Well I run saw everyday. Triming and cutting a few grade logs for a slasher cutting 100-120 cord a day. I've cut from stump to truck by hand many times and 20 cord a day is no small feet. Not saying it can't be done but your a heck of a man or in monster wood. We're cutting yellow poplar that's 50 cord to the acre right now and I wouldn't bet my check i could cut 20 cord a day. It's 12 sticks tall! And for the record I'm a lean strapping young 26 year old! Lol or my wife says so anyways

beenthere

Quote from: Corley5 on February 12, 2014, 06:58:05 PM
80-100 trees an hour that's one tree hitting the ground every .6 -.75 seconds.

One every .6  - .75 minutes.  ;)

Just less than 2 per minute.  One per minute would be 60 per hour.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Thanks for checking my math Beenthere  8) 8)

isawlogs

I must of been slow, I could never cut a tree that fast.  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ken

Although I think that maintaining that pace would be questionable I do not think that 100 cords in a week with one man is totally out of the question.  Remember that the timber harvested 25-35 years ago was considerably better than we work with today.  High volume stands with trees averaging 5 or 6 to a cord adds up fast.  Combine that with a short yard, high density stands with few limbs and a motivated youngster it could happen.  Again that pace could not be maintained for a lifetime as a persons body will only do so much long term.  I have a 51 year old employee that has on many occasions put up 20 cords in a day by himself and my old 225. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

poor farmer/logger

I used to do 70-80 cords a week without working to hard. Been out of the bush for a couple of years now aside from some clean up work so I suspect this year my pace will be off for a few days. Kind of out of shape now.lol..

Ryan

lumberjack48

Aspen as thick as the hair on a dogs back, 5/6 trees to a cd,  no problem to tip 80 to a 100 trees an hour or fall and skid 20 cords a day. I never said i bucked it up, this is tree length.

I know what i did, thats all i need to know.

Thats just like strip cutting in the 60's. A logger was looking for two guys to cut and pile 10 cds of Aspen a day for him. I looked him up, told him i'd take the job. He said i couldn't do it, i told him, give me two days head start and you'll never see my tail lites. This was up on the Flowing Well Trail by Mizpa, Mn. I cut for him until i bought my new C4, 1968. 
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

SwampDonkey

Doesn't really matter man. I won't feel any less of ya if you didn't cut your 100 cords. There's nothing to prove. 60 cords, 120 cords, it's all hard work when done manual. Only a little easier to take inside a cab on a machine, other than they expect way higher numbers. They being the forest companies that hire the loggers and push..push...push for bigger numbers.  Brow beaters we call them. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

1270d

LJ, keep up the stories.  I believe you, and know for fact what you speak of is possible.  Im a modern mechanical logger and i like to hear about others best days and averages with different kind of setups.    I just wish i could have a whack at timber like you had, in the harvester :D  maybe try to set a personal best :laugh:

Corley5

100 cords a week, alright, whatever.  In a tree length jam pile, sure, that's do able.  Logging operations aren't races.  The faster we try to go the greater the chances of an accident in an already dangerous business.  An old saying I like is "There are old loggers and bold loggers but no old bold loggers".  That pretty much sums this situation up.  I'll say no more. 

craigc

Glad to have you back LJ. I have a guy by are mill that cut out west in the 60's and 70's he has great stories that you can learn a lot from.  If your not open to hearing how other people have done it, then your not going to learn.  Someone always is doing it better than how you do it always look how you can make your work better.
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

lumberjack48

Quote from: Corley5 on February 13, 2014, 07:21:05 PM
100 cords a week, alright, whatever.  In a tree length jam pile, sure, that's do able.  Logging operations aren't races.  The faster we try to go the greater the chances of an accident in an already dangerous business.  An old saying I like is "There are old loggers and bold loggers but no old bold loggers".  That pretty much sums this situation up.  I'll say no more. 
I want you to know that my logging accident had nothing to with my pace in the woods. Corley5 i don't think you'll ever get to log Aspen like i did in the late 60's and in the 70's. I knew a Fin from up at International Fall, he was the one that introduced me to the skidder. He had a TJ gas job, he was logging by Ash river with two other guys, they were pulling 1000 cds a month with that little Jack. This was back in 1965. When i bought my TF in 68 i hired his father to fall for me. Nobody thought much of my skidder including my father, that quickly changed.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Corley5

I wasn't going to say anymore but you called me on it.  I would argue that it was your pace.  According to your own story about your accident you broke more than one rule of common sense logging.  You were cutting on a day with wind gusts of 35mph and a wind chill of -57.  You turned your back on a tree that was cut off and hung in another even if only for a second and I would say that at 5 PM on day like that you were fatigued and should have quit before you did but should have stayed home to begin with.  Here's the link to your story

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,65375.msg978159.html#msg978159

I'm gonna tell you how I feel it is.  I feel you should be the poster child for what not to do in the woods and shouldn't be counseling others on how to do the job while extolling your own accomplishments.  Your practices put you where you are today.  If anything you should be telling others what not to do.  This is a dangerous business and setting a pace like you did is deadly.  Just because you can put down a 100 trees per hour doesn't mean you should.  Did any of your elders or peers tell you to slow down before you got hurt or killed?   

Mark K

I cant imagine cutting 100 trees an hour. How many times do ya fuel up? I get between 7-9 trees out of a tank of fuel on my 385 husqvarna.  But the job im on now the timber is averaging 600 bf to the tree. Some trees are pushing the 1000 ft mark. Lucky if I pull 25 trees a day. Skid is 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile. I work alone. Cant fathom cutting and skidding that many trees.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

jwilly3879

How about another thread just for bashing each other. This is starting to sound like a bar full of loggers where everyone has bigger wood, faster saw and a skidder that can pull 3 cord every hitch up hill and all the logs are veneer quality. Come on guys!

Mark K

Jwilly-how far north are u? Looks like your cutting decent sized wood. Im cutting on the south slope of the tug. Just above taberg. All hardwood, little bit of hemlock.
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

jwilly3879

Brant Lake area. Mostly pine, some hemlock, popple and junk hardwood.

Timbercruiser

Quote from: Offthebeatenpath on February 10, 2014, 12:53:10 PM
Well, I'm certainly not putting up those kinds of numbers, but I'm also working on family land where we are cutting selectively and spending a bit of time thinning beech saplings and limbing some trees aren't being cut.  Here's a picture from this morning.  Just about two loads of sawlogs and well over a load of pulp.  The hardwood I twitched out for firewood isn't shown.  A little under two days of work.  I know I won't set the world on fire with that kind of productivity, but production isn't the only goal...
Nice job very nice pics  :)

Mark K

I mainly contract for a mill in Boonville.  My 405 is on one of there hardwood jobs now. I landed the job in taberg last year. My TF is on that.  Cut alot of the garbage soft maple, bass and ash, held out on cutting the cherry till the price climbed this year. Best move I ever made. Selling the hemlock to canada. Pain in the butt running two jobs with one guy.
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

jwilly3879

We tried the hemlock log deal but a lot of these are shaky, the truckers don't like the access for the trailers and it takes too long to load. So we pulp it, finch is paying a bonus for hemlock and we are getting $68/cord on the landing from our trucker and have no hassles. The pine logs go to a local mill and he takes everything down to 8", only deductions are for red rot and black knots. The pine on this lot varies from on area to the next, some is red rot in the butt log, some is clear for 2 nice logs and then the third log goes bad. Last load we sent looked perfect on both ends and then when they opened it up on the mill there was red rot. Weird.

Had an idea the pine might run like that so we didn't do a lump sum contract, it's as delivered to the mill. We are getting a lot of pine pulp which is basically worthless. Some of the nice 16' butts that have some rot are going to a friend on mine with a bandmill, the mill can't market that kind of wood but it makes great siding so it's not going to waste.

Mark K

Theres a little local mill that payed me $220 a thou. for hemlock. They come with a tri axle to get it. But he only will take a load a week. Canada pays the same price but ya have to load there trailers. I dont have a landing loader yet so the mill I contract for plans it out to pick uphardwood the same day the Canadians pick up. It works out. No real home for pine around here. Last bunch of white pine I sold was a year ago. Had a heck of a time getting rid of It. The mill I cut for marks softwood to which is for us to do whatever we want with.
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

loggah

We used to sell a bunch of hemlock to Finch when they had a yard in Tamworth N.H., good to deal with.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

lumberjack48

Quote from: Corley5 on February 18, 2014, 06:47:14 PM
I wasn't going to say anymore but you called me on it.  I would argue that it was your pace.  According to your own story about your accident you broke more than one rule of common sense logging.  You were cutting on a day with wind gusts of 35mph and a wind chill of -57.  You turned your back on a tree that was cut off and hung in another even if only for a second and I would say that at 5 PM on day like that you were fatigued and should have quit before you did but should have stayed home to begin with.  Here's the link to your story

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,65375.msg978159.html#msg978159

I'm gonna tell you how I feel it is.  I feel you should be the poster child for what not to do in the woods and shouldn't be counseling others on how to do the job while extolling your own accomplishments.  Your practices put you where you are today.  If anything you should be telling others what not to do.  This is a dangerous business and setting a pace like you did is deadly.  Just because you can put down a 100 trees per hour doesn't mean you should.  Did any of your elders or peers tell you to slow down before you got hurt or killed?   
My pace that day or fatigue had nothing to do with me getting hurt. The -57 or the 35 mile an hour wind didn't get me hurt.
What put me in this bed is when i walked away from the precut tree. At the time i did it i knew i was breaking one of my rules i preached to everybody else. But for some reason i did it, everyone on here will catch them self breaking one of there rules one time or another, for some reason its human nature. I certainly wasn't fatigued, I'd only fell 140 Balsam trees 

All my elders, peers and loggers heard that a logger got hurt. When they heard that it was me, they said it was the last name they expected to here because of my logging history and experience.

Heres a picture of the wife and me, we loved logging, its all i did. The wife was a nurse for awhile but logging called her away from it. She's taken care of me for 25 yrs, plus running a cleaning business. Heres a lady that knows how to run a power shift, she loves the smell of diesel and screaming Detroit.

Thank You Sponsors!