iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shingles

Started by ladylake, December 25, 2008, 05:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladylake

I have a customer that wants to cut some shingles out of basswood for inside use,  so after building a teeter todder jig for my mill that should work whats the best way to dry them down after sawing.  Were shooting for 5/8 on the big end taperd dowm to almost nothing and 6 to 12" wide..      Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Steve, what I always do is make a square pile with a hole in the middle but to tip but to tip.This gives a space between and weight to help keep them from buckling also the chiminey effect to help them dry.If you want to have tight joints ,dry then rebut on a tablesaw.If you start off square green the tips will dry more.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Joel Eisner

The first shingles I did (poplar) were stacked with news paper between them for drying.  It seemed to work okay and my wife enjoyed reading the paper as she stacked the shingles.   :P

I was concerned about transfer of the print to the wood but it was not an issue.  Since then we put most shingles up fairly green and dipped them before palcing them.

The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

ladylake

Joel  How many layers of newpaper between them and did you have any trouble with mold?  Frank you kind of lost me, are you putting stickers between them to keep from molding?    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Joel Eisner

We did a single sheet and we did not have mold problems.
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

bandmiller2

Steve,no I don't use stickers,except at the bottom to keep them off the floor/ground.What I'am talking about is lay one down overlap the next one about an inch thick end to thin end.Probibly easier to put them in a straight line like building a wall.Their will be a gap between due to their taper,they dry quickly,what i usally make are pine shingles.Cedar shingles they usally just cut and bundle tite.Frank C.

bandmiller2

Steve,also ment to say if you stack in a straight line you can put a board on top to help keep them straight and the weather off.Frank C.

ladylake

Thanks Frank. It sunk in now.   Steve

Thank You Sponsors!