iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fir thats been down for a while

Started by BCRick, April 05, 2009, 10:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCRick

I've been hanging out here for the last year or so and have learned lots from everyone here. I have an older MD 12 which I started using last spring and I'm quite impressed with the production, really like the machine. I'm just coming out of hibernation and have lots of trees on the ground from the last couple of years winds. Mostly fir a little cedar and some hemlock. The pile at the mill I have to clear before I can get to last years blowdown has been in a pile for 2 yrs. I started pulling it apart and milling some good size fir but the outside couple of inches is discoloured. It is solid but I wonder if this discoloration makes the lumber unsuitable for use in framing. I have a nice order for the wood but I don't want to sell somethng that is on its way to rotting. I would appreciate anyones experience.

backwoods sawyer

If it is at all, punky I cut under the ring as if it was the out side of the log. You will loose some recovery out of the logs but in the end, you will wind up with sound buildable lumber and as long as the logs had some size to then to begin with you will be able to salvage a considerable amount of wood out of cull logs.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

ErikC

That first discoloration, in the sapwood, is kind of like the blue stain in pine. It doesn't affect the structural use at all. If it still seems hard and sound when you jab it with a sharp tool, use it.  It will turn a punky a while after that and then it's time to cut it out and toss it.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

BCRick

Thanks for the quick replies, I was hoping this might be the answer. It is as hard as the rest of the log, not punky at all. If it is for framing I thought it would dry and be as hard as ever.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Rick Like Bwoods & Erick said it should be rite to go out as Struc timber as ive cut Fir and the like here that had been in (dry) stockpiles for 1 to 3 years in the past just use the screw driver trick till you get your eye in Mate and remember the old rule  ;) ;D If in Doubt Chuck it out  ;)  :D :D :D :D ;)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!