iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

small "yard" cherry

Started by Dave H., January 31, 2016, 11:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave H.

cut  this cherry down for my dad's neighbor last saturday.24" off the stump but had to cut off about 2 ft due to rot from a second truck cut off a while ago. still got 2 good 7ft logs and another small piece. not sure how the lumber will fair as the sap wood fairly thick.

Magicman

It was fast growing, but sometimes we just have to play the hand we are dealt. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

derhntr

I for one like cherry sap wood. So is snow white other have a yellow hue to them. really add color contrast to some cutting boards I have been making.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

WDH

Market it as "rainbow cherry". 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

macpower

Saw it. You can't ruin a piece of firewood.... I've had good luck with small stuff and small buyers,(home wood workers looking for project wood).
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

hbeane

Is that a wild cherry?  I have lots of those and have wondered if it would be OK to saw? I don't Have my mill yet but very soon.  Didn't know if the sap would hurt much. Anyone cut wild cheery much?  It is good firewood.
Woodmizer LT15
1949 John Deere M
025 Stihl
250 Stihl
290 FarmBoss Still
C400 Echo
Honda 300 Fourtrax

Dave Shepard

I've cut a bunch of black cherry. I really like it. I've also Bern cutting a bunch of it into curved and crotched braces. One of the nicest hardwoods I've cut joinery on.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

I really like to saw Black Cherry.

Most of the customers I saw for will usually have a few Cherry logs in the stack.

I rarely have just one species of logs in a stack, usually at least two.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nomad

I don't get to saw cherry often down here.  And a worthwhile log is really rare.  But when it happens...  I'm a happy camper!  I really like sawing Cherry. :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WDH

Bill,

Jake and I have some nice ones just waiting to be sawn  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Nomad

Quote from: WDH on February 05, 2016, 08:23:42 PM
Bill,

Jake and I have some nice ones just waiting to be sawn  ;D.

smiley_thumbsup move_it
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WDH

21incher

I love the smell of the sawdust when sawing wild cherry. Save a couple of chunks for the smoker also. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!