iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finished Trailer Project

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, August 28, 2004, 08:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Finally finished my flatbed trailer.

It was 6x16, I added a foot to each side, put new axles with brakes under it, designed the ramps each one can slide to the middle, milled 6/4 white oak decking and lots of other stuff. It is now titled as a 10,000lb hauler.

Before picture

Now back to work on the tractor.
WS
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Furby

WOW!!! Way to go!!!  8)
Ya think ya could do it to mine also ???

J_T

That's nice wish you were closer ;D
Jim Holloway

CHARLIE

Sweet! Looks like a brand new trailer too. Nice job.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

sprucebunny

That's great ,W-S. What kind of axles did you use? I got a 10k trailer made with shortened mobile home axles but the brakes are too rusty to fix. thought I might just put new axles under it.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks for your kind words.
Furby I'd be glad to build you one, comon down, course this one took about 6 months
I'd rather build one than buy one even though it did cost $1050 for the axles. They are from dexter 6,000 lb each with electric brakes.
The brakes never worked in the old configuration and with a load of logs it was a little hary when you needed a quick stop.

Here's another shot of it before decking.

WS

Weekend_Sawyer

By the way, The axles were custom made by Dexter so that my spring hangers would hit the frame correctly and the wheels would fit in the slots under the frame.

I went through a local trailer guy in Laurel. He looks and sometimes acts just like Larry, Darma's father on Darma and Greg ::)
He is not out to make extrieme profit off of you so you just have to remind him your'e standing in front of him ometimes :D

WS

Bruce_A

WS if I buy the materials, will you throw in room and board while I wait on the building of a trailer, I'm talking trailer materials.

Weekend_Sawyer

Why not Bruce, course you may have to wash a few dishes, youknow just to help out, mabe run the vacuum and such, hey do you do windows? :)

DanG

That's a DanG nice trailer, Jon. It'll serve you well for a lot of years. :)
Let me give you an idea for the future. If you would make a couple of spreader bars from pipe that would clamp on between the ramps at top and bottom, you could use the ramps as an arch like FDH and I have. Then just add a winch on the truck or front of the trailer and you could load some good sized logs with very little effort.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Weekend_Sawyer

Yea, good idea Dan. Those ramps are mounted on 2 1/2" pipe and aint goin nowhere.

SwampDonkey

I concur, that's a dandy trailor. Could run a skidstear up that ramp, tractor too eh.  Nice work. :) I have a much smaller trailor and the one thing I'de modify on mine is to replace the winch pully with a roller. The cable can jump the pully in certain instances and get pinched to one side. I too have electric trailor brakes and that's a must, easier on the pickup brakes and you can stop much easier.

My Trailor Here

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bruce_A

WS;  Washing dishes, doing laundry, even windows aren't bad if my other half is with me.  I'm good at giving directions.  But the price of new iron has changed my mind some.  Think I may just remodel one of the dozen or so project units I have on hand now.  But if you are heading this way,  stop by for a while and we'll go on a treasure hunt in my yard.  Anytime is fine for someone with both talent and ambition to be exploited.

Weekend_Sawyer

That's how I learned how to do it, Dad had LOTS of treasures in the yard, lots of tools, welders, tourches, stuff. We were never bored. Sometimes singed but never bored.

By the way Bruce, you need to update your profile, put your mark on the FF map so we know where you are from. I beleive WA is Washington state but I'd like to be sure.
I love to look at FF members profile's and see where folks are from that I'm talking to

WS

Gilman

You're right Weekend, Bruce need to place his tree and represent the Evergreen State.  He's just a bit north of me.

Chop Chop Bruce! :D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!