iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

272 Stuck

Started by Knute, March 13, 2014, 08:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knute

Got my 272 bar and chain stuck in a 20" white oak with a heavy head lean. After removing the wedge, I was making some side cuts to avoid a barber chair when making the back cut. The tree also had enough side lean to get me pinched on the side cut. I removed the head and used my other saw to make the back cut. When the tree hit the ground the butt flew up and came down on the bar and chain left in the stump. The chain is fine, but the bar is badly bent and a loss. Just happy I removed the 272 head or it would be a total loss.

Magicman

You are a very wise man.  After a similar incident, I started carrying a spare bar and a couple of chains.  You just never know.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I had to do that a few times. Most times due to the fact that the wedge was still in my back pocket.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have walked a many times to get the dozer to push a tree off my saw bar.  >:(
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

I hate it when that happens. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sealark37

After more events like the above than I would care to recall, I started to carry two saws and a pinch bar when I go to the woods.  No matter how careful or skillful one might be, the old saw will get stuck now and then.   Regards, Clark

GDinMaine

I had a  bar pinched once so bad that I could not do a thing to lift the tree off. I only have one saw. Took the power head off and had to to leave the tree and bar sitting there.  I went to the store to buy a second bar to cut the tree off.  Now I have one well used bar one and one practically brand new.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

highleadtimber16

It sure is frustrating! Sometimes it's better to make your back cut first and put the wedge in a little. Then make your under cut. All depends on the tree.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

barbender

I always bore cut leaners like that.
Too many irons in the fire

Coon

I was falling aspens one winter along a road allowance and got my bar pinched.  I had no wedges with so I ended up pulling the powerhead and headed for town to get one. Later when I came back to wedge the tree over my bar and chain along with several firewood trees I had cut were gone... The logger across the road had noticed the bar and chain and went in there with his feller buncher  and stole my bar and chain and firewood....
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Ga Mtn Man

Man, that is just about as low as it gets >:(.  And here I was thinking everyone was just a little nicer north of the border.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

highleadtimber16

Quote from: Coon on March 15, 2014, 03:32:09 PM
I was falling aspens one winter along a road allowance and got my bar pinched.  I had no wedges with so I ended up pulling the powerhead and headed for town to get one. Later when I came back to wedge the tree over my bar and chain along with several firewood trees I had cut were gone... The logger across the road had noticed the bar and chain and went in there with his feller buncher  and stole my bar and chain and firewood....

That's just disgusting  >:(
Around here, a logger would put all the trees on the ground and leave your bar and chain on the nice pile of logs he stacked for you  :)
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Coon

Karma has since gotten this *&^%%%%   :D  He used to have a bandmill, firewood processor and logging equipment that he got through gov't grants and small business loans.  When all that money dried up he tried to declare bankruptcy but the banks seized all the equipment first.  He waited a few years and tried to get gov't funding again for another business and the gov't told him to go sit on his thumbs.... 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Billbob

Quote from: Coon on March 15, 2014, 04:16:12 PM
Karma has since gotten this *&^%%%%   :D  He used to have a bandmill, firewood processor and logging equipment that he got through gov't grants and small business loans.  When all that money dried up he tried to declare bankruptcy but the banks seized all the equipment first.  He waited a few years and tried to get gov't funding again for another business and the gov't told him to go sit on his thumbs.... 

That reinforces a post I made on another thread regarding 'honesty'. 
Karma..........disrespect it and it'll bite you in the butt every time!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Thank You Sponsors!