iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New CNC Machine - Lots of Pics and now Videos

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, October 09, 2012, 08:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

Gosh was this ever a long journey.

All I wanted to do was add a video to this thread showing the CNC machine in operation using the new video recorder the wife was kind enough to get me a few months back

Shot the video and went to edit it using my sony studio software, only to find out that it does not support high def video.

Next step was then to get new editing software and a book on its operation and read 320 pages worth of material to figure out how to use it. So two weeks later, here is my first attempt with the new camera, Adobe Premiere Elements 11 ( which really is an awesome program). Be kind movie critics ;D

Hey Ron, you can get a good glimpse of the fixture i was telling you about that hold my sign blanks in place.

http://youtu.be/rmLzhNndzVI
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

ronwood

Good start on the movie. I did see the clamps

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Busy Beaver Lumber

New video routing another sign. This sign has already sold I have orders for another dozen of them from a local pet shop

http://youtu.be/ONn3krsqxoM
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Looking good....how long does a bit last before you need to change?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Dave

Dont know the answer to that question yet. I have done about a dozen signs with that one and it is still plenty sharp

Whiteside carbide 60 degree bit.  Very nice router bits
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

opticsguy

In your photo with the word Strauss, the banner is curved and the fonts are straight line.  can you curve the letters to follow the banner?

TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

shopteacher

Working with CNC machines are the most fascinating thing I'm done in years. The items you showed so far looks great and it only gets better. i teach an automated manufacturing class at my high school.  One of the introductory projects is designing and cutting signs. Our current challenge is the design and cutting the ends of a memorial bench.  We'll be cutting them  from 1 1/2" red oak and cutting the mortises for the seat and back stretchers all in one operation.
    The new version of AlphaCam came with a version of Vcarve Pro in the program. I haven't had time to work with it yet, but the tutorials look very promising.
     This week I started to work on the CNC router I want to build for my home shop and think the most challenging part is going to get the motors and electronics up and running.
      I cut Jeff a few things years ago on the first CNC machine we got, checkers  and some clock faces I believe.
      Looks like you've added a great addition to your business. 
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

GeorgeK

That is cool stuff. My last business we laser cut radio controlled airplanes. This looks like the software would be about the same. I will have to look into on of these also.
George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

Busy Beaver Lumber

opticsguy

Yes, the text withing the banner could have been easily curved to match the contour of the banner itself. The software that we are running is awesome and provides maximum flexibility with a minimal learning curve.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Busy Beaver Lumber

Shopteacher

Thanks much for the compliments and thanks for being a wood shop teacher. It was a shop teacher, much like yourself, that gave me the knowledge and passion for woodworking 35 years ago. Over the years, I have done one hobby or another, some which I still enjoy, and some which ran their course, but the one passion I truly enjoy to this day is woodworking and I imagine I will have that passion until the day they put me in a pine box.

My wife has a few statements about me and my woodworking passion:
1. He is happiest when he is making sawdust
2. He will not get rid of a scrap of wood  until not even a termite wants it because there is not enough left
3. Where else do you think Dad is, in the shop of course.

Anyway, a big thanks to you and all the other shop teachers out there. You do make a big difference in young peoples lives, and in some way shape their entire exixstence
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Busy Beaver Lumber

GeorgeK

Give Burl a call at DWC and I am sure he will take care of you. Tell him Fred Strauss sent you. Him and I have become very good friends since I bought my machine and I have actually had 3 other people I know buy one of his machines since November, all of which are very happy with it. There is also another fellow I know from my local woodworking club that is going to visit Digital Wood Carver in a few weeks. He makes electric guitars and Burl is going to do a demo for him of the DWC cutting a guitar body
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

just_sawing

I am headed to Indianapolis Friday to purchase one. Going to stop by WoodMizer to see what it new.
Buying the 4th axis also
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Busy Beaver Lumber

Hey Just Sawing

Did you get your CNC machine?  I have been having a great time with mine. Between yesterday and today, working only a few hours I routed almost 20 signs.

Here is a pic of the few I did yesterday. They are not finished yet. Need to be inked in the routed areas, sanded, and get a few coats of clear. Will post more pics when they are done

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Dave

There is about 20 minutes work into just that eagle alone. It was originally a piece of vector art that I used for decals and banners. Problem is the lines were real thin and if i routed it without any editing, the grooves would have been very narrow and shallow, so i had to go into the vectors and thicken up the routed lines. Not a big deal to do once you have done it a few times. Had to do the same thing with the cat face as well.

Really enjoying this machine quite a bit and the creativity that it allows me to accomplish. Have actually sold some of the signs we have done already and wife is gearing up to start selling them on ebay now that we pretty much have this skill mastered.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Busy Beaver Lumber

As promised, here are pics of the completed signs shown above once they were shot with ink, sanded, and clear coated.

We could use your help. We are looking to wholesale these to people that sell at flea markets, craft fairs, festivals, and other such events of that nature. What would you say in your estimate would be a fair price to pay for signs like these? Obviously the Eagle type should go for more than the cat one or the plain text, but what is the right price to charge in your opinions?

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Busy Beaver Lumber

Latest Sign done in the shape of the state of PA and with dog bone with dogs name below. Really having fun with this CNC machine.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Thank You Sponsors!