iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finished Some More Bowls

Started by Left Coast Chris, April 13, 2013, 03:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

Latest batch of bowls.  I have been really impressed with how Silver Maple works and finishes.   The two figured natural maple bowls are taken from block wood at the butt flare with compression figure.  Also tried a few Redwood bowls.  Very soft and takes alot of heavy sanding to get the tearout to finish.   Having fun with the lathe.

Closer view of the Silver maple natural edge bowls:

Spalted larger Silver Maple Bowl

Large Redwood Bowl

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tree Feller

Those are nice. I really like those NE Silver Maple bowls.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Mooseherder

Nice looking bowls. :)
You inspired me to turn one this evening.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Left Coast Chris

Just curious, what finish will you be using Mooseherder?   

Ive become partial to the Deft Danish Oil Natural finish with Watco wax polish to finish it off for the Maple anyway.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

wheelinguy

Makes me want to put a lathe out in the shop and start turning.  Nice work!

Mooseherder

The last few bowls I've turned have been finished with walnut oil.
I soak an old toothbrush in a cap full of oil and press it on the bowl as its turning.  Works good and smells good. :)
The bowl I turned tonight was from a branch I cut off a Mahogany tree today.
The tree is about 18 years old.  I did a lot of tree trimming this morning and also prepared some Australian Pine that has been in my pond after breaking off the tree.  It looks like some beautiful stuff and some of the hardest wood you can find.  My turning tools are horrible and I am in turning bowls on a spindle lathe.  Life is kinda rough some times. :D
I have most of the outside if the bowl done except for the sanding.  I was having a hard time digging out the inside of the bowl and it was getting dark.
I moved the lathe outside to my cook shack last week and roll it out onto the grass when turning then put it back with a cover and back under the shack when done.  It wasn't being used much in the garage because of the mess.
I prepared quite a few pieces for turning that should keep me busy for the summer evenings.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

pasbuild

I really like the Maple ones, were they turned green or dried?
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Left Coast Chris

Mooseherder, turning outside sounds really therapudic..... Im envious.     I tried the Mahoneys walnut oil on a black walnut bowl awhile back and it turned very dark then did not want to harden.  Since you mentioned you had luck with it I might try it again.  With the oils I have to remind myself to wipe off any excess on each coat and warmer weather helps too.  I think the walnut I used was root burl and it was a bit porus and took in alot of oil.   It ended up almost black and had to dry for several months.

Pasbuild, the maple was turned from four year old blocks so they were almost dry.   Ive done well dry or wet with Silver Maple but if wet then I turn to an inch thick then put wadded news paper inside and place it in a paper bag to dry over several months.   Final turning takes out the warpage.   I do stay away from limb wood due to the stresses and heart center unless it is a special case.

Fun stuff and relatives really go for them at Christmas. :)

Dodgy Loner

Those are awesome! You really have a good eye for form. Anyone can make a bowl, but there aren't many people who can make them look that good :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Left Coast Chris

Glad you guys liked seeing them.   The test of course as to form, appearance etc is if people will buy them.   I have traded for other wood but so far cannot bring myself to sell them because of the attachment and just like seeing the wood.  Maybe someday....when I retire...    fishin-smiley

Lud

Nice bowls, Chris.  Turn lots of bowls and give them away.  Always sign and date them.   I've  never met a woman who doesn't like wooden bowls! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

justallan1

Busy Beaver Lumber

very nice work. A true craftsman at work :)
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

GeorgeK

George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

Axe Handle Hound

You do some nice work Chris.  I think you'd be pretty successful selling those. As I mentioned in the thread about the rustic shelf I built, my friend who commissioned the shelf has a number of different woodturnings that he's purchased.  He doesn't know anything about them other than they're wood and he really likes the way they look.  Your bowls would certainly look right at home with the rest of his collection and I can tell you that he paid a pretty penny for the ones he has. 

mesquite buckeye

Definitely high end work. I have a friend who does this type of work in mesquite. He does it first because he loves it, second because he makes a marginal living doing it. The bad economy dropped his sales by 2/3. Maybe things are better where you are. Just remember, if you sell to craft/art outlets, you will get about half of retail, maybe a little less. They have bills to pay too. Good luck. The work will sell. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Left Coast Chris

Thanks for the encouraging feed back guys.  I do enjoy making them along with the display of the special piece of wood.   Awhile back I was asked to put some in a local gallery but normally they want 40% or even 50% of the selling price to run the gallery.   Makes sense.  Im thinking a better option might be to talk my daughter into a booth at a high end craft fair and pay her to attend  the booth.  Since the booth costs a bit, I need a higher inventory.    An internet site is also a possibility but Im a little concerned people would buy then try to return after handling it since they cannot physically examine prior to buying.

All food for thought.  :P   --thanks--

CHARLIE

Very nice bowls and well finished. I really like the natural edged maple bowls, but all of them are done very well. Two thumbs up to ya!
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Magicman

I have never turned, but I can admire and appreciate high quality and beautiful work.  As Charlie just said;   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Left Coast Chris

Thanks guys.  Wish it was the Fall/Winter again which is the main time I work in the shop so I could do some more turning.  It gets so hot here in the northern part of the Sacramento valley I do not look forward to Summer.    My issue is no insulation in the ceiling of the shop so my window air conditioner can't cool too well.   Im strongly thinking of buying some 5 R-value 4x8 foam with foil face sheets to glue to the under side of the sheathing between the TJI joists.   About $500 at Home Depot.   Then I would be back in business.

Thank You Sponsors!