iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

almost pushed the panic button

Started by yukon cornelius, July 09, 2015, 06:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

on a trip to North Carolina last week I pulled into the hotel and as always let the truck idle to cool the turbo on the cummins. I opened the door as it idles down and hear a horrible sound, grinding clanking rattling, the kind nightmares are made of. my first thought was the ac compressor I had replaced just before leaving. not it. next I think turbo. not it I slide under and hear its in the bell housing. I removed the inspection cover expecting the whole guts to ooze out but nothing out of place. I rotated the flywheel with a screwdriver and could hear a click on the flywheel each turn. turns out the starter had crapped out. it would still start it just fine so I was surprised. 1050 miles from home and I know no one out there. I didn't have a socket that would fit. a guy pulls up and asks if we are ok and I tell him what I found. he calls a friend in town who comes and then goes back home for his tools. he drives us to the parts store and back and waits til we have it up and running again. Neither would take a dime for their trouble.

If we all were like these guys....what a world we would have! It was an answered prayer for sure! God is good!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Seaman

All the Time !  Glad you got fixed up.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

petefrom bearswamp

Certainly reinforces your faith in human nature, most humans anyway
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

Glad things worked out in your favor and you weren't stranded!

It's a great feeling just being around people like that!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Thanks for the heartwarming and reassuring story Larry.  :)

I also noticed that you are stuck on 1000 posts here on the FF.   Congrats on the milestone.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gww

I blew a fuel filter gasket and left about 1/2 tank deisel on the road before my truck died on the interstate hwy.  A guy coming home from church stoped and gave me a ride back and forth to the parts store.  I have stoped and helped a few times and not stoped a few that I should have.  I always wonder at myself why I am so selfish to not stop when there is no excuse.  I know when the guy stoped and helped me, I was very thankful. 
It is a good thing to hear about generous poeple.
gww

beenthere

It's a good feeling to be able to be in a position to help someone out when they are in a tough spot. Being a long way from home is one of the tough ones.

Once had a car lose a tire on the highway near home, that turned out to be a young couple from Chicago with a yr old child. They had no spare, and no money.
Called my garage mechanic, he towed it to town and he found a tire with rim that fit, and mounted it while I took the couple and child for a hamburger across the street. My mechanic wouldn't take any money from me, and we saw them on their way. Felt good being in a position to take the time, know who could help in a difficult situation, and make their day a whole lot better.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scsmith42

Larry, I remember you telling me that story when you stopped by the shop!  Glad that things worked out ok and that you and your son made it home safely.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Magicman

This is why you really should think before you refuse someone's generosity.  To refuse denies and prevents the giver from having the "feel good" of giving.  Just remember someone's generosity and pass it on when you get the opportunity.  It is better to give than to receive.  (old saying)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

North Carolina? We'd of give you a new truck and a flag in South Carolina.  :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sixacresand

A young lady with baby knocked on my door one hot Saturday evening.  Turns out she had a flat tire, no spare and wanted to call for help.  Who you gonna call after hours or weekends?  Nobody except a wrecker or AAA.  I was able to find a tire at the "recycle center" (dump), mount it and get them on their way.  Used to all greasy "filling stations" would fix a tire day or night.  Not any more.   The Bible says not to dwell on what "used to be", but use what you have to work with today.  I saw the lady in town about a month later and she said she was still running that same time from the dump and still had not got a spare.   :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 09, 2015, 06:32:01 PM
We'd of give you a new truck and a flag in South Carolina.  :D :D :D :D :D

:D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

yukon cornelius

Quote from: Magicman on July 09, 2015, 07:51:37 AM
Thanks for the heartwarming and reassuring story Larry.  :)

I also noticed that you are stuck on 1000 posts here on the FF.   Congrats on the milestone.  8)

Mm, I didn't even realize I was even near 1000. It is a milestone. I don't even have speach prepared. :D poston, i where can I pick up that truck and flag? Lol! I just know God will always take care of me!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

LaneC

Quote from: WDH on July 09, 2015, 08:36:33 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 09, 2015, 06:32:01 PM
We'd of give you a new truck and a flag in South Carolina.  :D :D :D :D :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Man makes plans and God smiles

justallan1

Once on the way to Billings I come up on this kid that's broke down and stop. He admits that his gas gauge didn't work and grabs his can out of the back and off we go. It was about 10 miles to the nearest town and he thanks me and offers some cash, I told him not to worry about it and to get his gas and I'd take him back to his car. So we get back to the car, put the gas in and while I'm walking off he's trying to give me some money for my troubles. I told him to just put it on the "Pay It Forward Plan", when he see's someone broke down or needing a hand to remember when he was broke down. This kid gives me a look like I was from another planet and says what a wonderful idea that was and goes on to explain to me how great of a plan that I'd come up with.
I didn't even tell him that it wasn't me that come up with the idea of helping each other, I just followed him back to the gas station and left him believing that I was pretty close to the smartest guy around :D

Magicman

It's all about following your heart.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!