iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Apple

Started by Tom Sawyer, June 18, 2005, 09:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

No I am not talking about the tree.  I am thinking about buying an Apple computer when this one dies.  Does anybody out there use them?  What has your experience been?

Steve

I have used them all my computer life, lets see, since mid 80's.  I don't know how to use anything else though so I might not be a good reference.
One thing that stacks up in their favor is NONE of the spyware, viruses and all manner of maladies that plague the MS platform.
I have finally gone to a laptop as that is all I need, so am freed (that word looks funny) from the desk all together.
Love it and wouldn't have anything else.
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

dutchman

I started out with Apple in about 1982.I bought them for my 2 daughters for college.
Run all kinds of business and financial programs, database,word programs.
I now run Mac Office to keep my wifes files compatable.
I'll buy another when it's needed.

sprucebunny

I had a PC and hated it.
Love my Mac
I  had a hard time finding photo compression software but I got over that ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

crtreedude

Deciding which OS to use is a lot like deciding which sawmill. It just depends what you are going to use it for.

Just word processing and email won't strain much, but if you are running for example a software package, make sure it is well supported (like accounting)

Classically, Apple has always been very good for media - even though Windows systems are pretty good too now.

The biggest problem is that if you want a software program that is on the Windows side, the developers are normally slow moving it to the Apple side - they have a very small percentage of the market, so there is no urgency. Apple's market share is in the single digits, which doesn't exactly encourage a independent developer to spend time making stuff for it. 

My personal opinion (going to cause a war here I bet!) if I wasn't going to use Windows, I would be going open source - like Linx.  Usually requires a higher level of knowledge, though there are some good user packages out there. As far as market share, Apple has permanently lost. Linx however will continue to grow most likely and evolve more rapidly than Windows.

And then THEY will have to deal with the viruses and spyware.

Even though users tend to like Apple, I can tell you developers tend to hate them. I don't know about now, but Apple was one of the most arrogant companies to work with that I have ever had the misfortune of having to deal with.

On the other hand, Microsoft is a joy for developers - if I have a question I can contact the developers inside Microsoft if I need to (yes, I pay for the privelege). I have 4 free calls per year, and if it is their issue, they refund the call.  Always helpful, and try to resolve the ugliest of issues with me.

This to me is why Microsoft dominates the market - they have always encouraged the developers who build the stuff for their platform. Most developers I knew would prefer to be beaten than to write software for the Macintosh - which explains why they ended up where they are.

So, if you are a user of lots of different kinds of software, I wouldn't go with Apple, but if you primarily use it for Internet, email,word processing and graphics - not a problem.

By the way, in my experience, the reason most people hate Windows is the following: Too much junk on it. They buy these packages that have everything including the kitchen sink on it, lots of garbage programs. Then, they go out and find all of these nifty free things on the internet - most of which have spyware. Pretty soon the system is running as slow as molasses, and you have a real problem.

I find most of Windows works fine - it is their programs that I hate - I consider them bloatware.  I use FireFox for browser and Thunderbird for email - I like them both. 

So, how did I end up here anyway?

JimBuis

I started out with a Commodore in 1985 followed in short order by an Apple.  I used my Apple until 1992.  I have been using IBM compatibles, PCs as we call them now, ever since and along the way began using Windows.  My school uses MACs exclusively, so unfortunately I must put up with them each day at work.  They work, but not very well in general use.  Yes they are particularly good in the areas of desk top publishing, video editing, and just about anything having to do with graphics and audio.

In short, if somebody gives me one brand new in a box, I will keep it just long enough to find the highest bidder then buy something worth having. :o :o

In my always humble opinion,
Jim

P.S. This is humbly offered from a totally objective viewpoint. ;D ;D
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Tom Sawyer

Jim, you are the first person that I have ever heard say that.  Every other person who has used an Apple has sung their praises long and loud.  Personally, I am sick of having to spend so much time maintaining the security (anti-virus, anti adware/spyware) plus having to patch the security holes in Windows all the time.  From what I hear, Macs don't have those problems, at least far less.

crtreedude

Normally the screams from Macintosh users are around the price for the performance (why do you think that they are moving to the Intel chip....) and the fact that a really great piece of software that won't be ported to the Macintosh.

crtreedude

One other note - about 15+ years ago, Apple had 15% of the market, now they are around 2% - The reason you aren't hearing so much from the Mac users is that there are very few of them any more.

Sorry, it is the truth.  You won't worry about viruses and such because none of the scum who write the stuff cares about Macintoshes - too few of them to target. It isn't like Macintoshes are secure - it is just that they aren't a target.

Those who stayed with the Macintosh are those who's needs are simple, or who would rather die than use Microsoft.

Just my dos colones.  ;)

P.S. I have been a software developer for 20+ years, Windows, Unix, Macintosh.

tnlogger

I've used macs and their a good mach but priced out of reach compared to a pc why pay 20or30% more for the same thing. and as fred pointed out it's hard to get compatable programs.
but thats my 2cents worth.  ;D
gene

Riles

Like everything else we talk about here, the answer is "it depends on what you want to use it for."

I bought an original Macintosh back in 1984 and have always had one since. That's totally irrelevant.

If you plan on being a software developer, listen to crtreedude. Somehow I get the feeling you're not going to be a software developer. If you're doing heavy science, the trend is toward the Mac because of the Unix core. I suspect you're not doing heavy science either.

Apple is switching to intel processors because IBM sold off their PC business and is concentrating on game machines instead of developing better personal computer processors.

There aren't fewer apple computer users today, there's proportionally less because there are so many more computer users today.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a category of software for the PC that does not exist for the Mac. True, if you want to play the newest games, get a PC. But if you want to use your computer to do anything a PC does, I think you could find the software for the Mac.

Microsoft is a software company. Intel is a hardware company. Apple controls (to the death!) both the hardware and the software. That means you spend less time scratching your head trying to get company A's pieces to work with company B's. I've always found that to be Apple's strong suit. Plug it in, turn it on, it works.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

crtreedude

With Apple's continually dwindling market share - you have to ask yourself - will you be able to buy the software you want in the future?

As far as hardcore science types - I doubt they use Mac - why not pickup a dirt cheap Intel box and slap Linux on it? You have Unix (or the equivalent) and you don't pay a premium for what I don't know. My daughter is working on a Phd in BioPhysics - as far as I know they are using PCs with Windows or large Unix machines (like Sun). When she was graduating I told her to pick a computer - she got a Dell Notebook and loves it.

As far as getting something that works well - buy a fully assembled system from a company like Dell - it will work, or they will fix it. Yes, people have their problems, but having ran the testing for a board that was for Compaq once, I can tell you how brutal the testing is that everything will work together. Believe me, Dell controls the hardware too, just not to the death.

You pretty much agreed with me when you said - if someone is a software developer, listen to crtreedude.  Unless Tom is going to write his own stuff in the future, he better buy what the software developers are buying.  A computer makes a pretty good doorstop without software.

However, getting people to agree on this issue would be like posting a topic about which is better, a bandmill or swingblade.  If you do, I am staying out of it!  :D

FiremanEd

Just changed over to Mac 5 weeks ago. I was tired of every PC I own or work with crashing on a regular basis. The worst I've had w/ the Mas is having to restart Excel once. There's a learning curve but I'm getting there.

Eddie
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

SwampDonkey

I've never owned a Mac, but have used them. I remember the move from 68k to PPC and the JIT emulator with the Mac OS. Crash, crash crash. Nothing like seeing that little bomb on the screen. ;D For years I used Amiga, then the Internet came and C= went down the tubes. I've ran Mac Emulators (Mac-Fusion and Shapeshifter) on my Amiga (68k-based) with success. Then I bought a Toshiba Laptop and never looked back. It's a 600 mhz Celeron based machine and does what I need. Plus I have all kinds of software to " get'r done ". I don't think Mac has a GIS program, unless it's Unix based. It also lacks some GPS software (Trimble's and Thales GPS software is PC based) and I'm not sure how well equipped MAC is to do synchronizing with PDA's/DATA collectors, other than USB access to storage/SDRAM. Most printers are becoming Windows-based. The switch to Intel for Mac, may be it's demise as developers are going to have to reprogram titles and Mac users are resistant to change. I'm no authority on Mac or Unix, I read Forums though. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

wesdor

Lots of interesting opinions here. 
Maybe I missed it, but I don't see how you want to use your new computer.  That probably makes a big difference in what you might want to purchase.  Two of our sons attended Iowa State University of Science and Technology (most people just say ISU) and I observed some interesting trends out there.  When you would walk into a PC lab at 11:00 p.m. they were empty, but when you walked into a Mac lab at the same time, they were full.  Most of the higher end applications are running on Sun workstations. 

I'd have to look up who said it, but the smaller share for macs compared to 10 years ago is due to the number of low end computers that have flooded the market.  I own some Apple stock and it has been a good producer for me (so as a stock holder my opinions are probably slanted).

I've used computers since 1979 and currently have a mac desktop, a mac laptop and a gateway.  The gateway is seldom used.

The change over to Intel chips has been several years in the making and I doubt if it will pose problems for end users.  Don't overlook the mac mini if you don't have heavy demands on the computer.  You can walk out with a rather powerful machine for not a lot of cash.

Once again, it would be helpful to know how you plan to use the computer.

Tom Sawyer

I don't need it for anything fancy.  Just word processing, email, internet, basic finances, a bit of video editing, and photos. 

Doc

I use both, hate apple, but am no fan of Winblows either.

If you are thinking of going apple you may want to think again. Apple is going Intel for processors in the next generation of hardware, and the PowerPC versions of hardware that are out will no longer be supported except for repair parts and limited at that. I am not making this up...look at Steve Jobs speech at WWDC on the Apple website for the proof of that....I suspect some Apple folks will deny it.

You can do the same stuff with windows now that you can with a mac. I personally like Linux, but it is not for the non-geek. It has a real learning curve,a nd can be very frustrating if you are not a computer/tech junkie. If I had to make a choice now I woudl tell you to call Dell. You can get good support, a better price, and the same platform that Apple will be using in the next gen (around 2006).

Good luck

Doc

SwampDonkey

Yes, it's a for sure thing Apple is going Intel. Not only was it announced by Apple, but it has been reported in the news media as well, such as FOX and CNN.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!