iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storing Ash Lumber

Started by locustoak, November 23, 2016, 10:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locustoak

With the Emerald Ash Borer hitting my area, the thought has crossed my mind to saw all the logs into lumber.  After kiln drying they would be stacked and stored in our barn for the next 10-20-40+ years.  However long it takes to use it all, or until the prices skyrocket due to shortages.
I wanted to get everyone's thought's on the feasibility of this.  Bugs do like ash, and may attack it while in storage.  On the other hand, being kiln dried, I would think it less susceptible to any bugs boring into it.  So if I keep it dry, should I really even be concerned?

What do you think?  Will dried ash last for a couple decades? Or best to use/sell it before it 'goes bad.'

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Kiln dried wood that reached 133 degrees throughout the piece of lumber is free of all insects and eggs when it leaves the kiln.  The only insect risk is the lyctid powderpost beetle.  In a barn, the risk is high as the insect may already be there.  It is likely that your idea is quite risky.  There is no insecticide that you can safely use for the many years of storage.  I am not sure that I want to use a piece in  10 years with such a strong chemical on the wood.  A different storage container, non-wood, is a better choice.  Also wrapping in plastic completely would be wise, as nothing could get in...if the plastic does not get a hole.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

Down here, the PPB's would riddle it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

69bronco

Thank You Sponsors!