iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling my own wood hoping to find buyer of 2-3 million bf of Red Alder per year

Started by RedAlderDude, January 17, 2011, 09:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I assume since this guy was only active for a week and hasn't been back to the FF in almost a year he decided to stick with fishing.  smiley_huh2
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

SwampDonkey

Probably the wiser choice.  ;D Or else he's still attached to his Hawaiian vacations. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

eastberkshirecustoms

I call    on the whole deal.

(looks like the admin's deleted my little 'BS' emoticon, oh well...)

JD350Cmark

Quote from: toploader Ford on January 19, 2011, 09:29:22 PM
What a way to spend the evening! Reading all of this Red Alder topic plus big redwood log in ocean, sure is better than watching the junk on tv. This forum is a whole lot more educational too.

I agree!  I missed this when it first appeared. 
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

tomsteve

ok, a lil hijack here. i worked in a mill back in the 80's. i cant remember what our b.f./ day was, but we shot for 70% of what the machinery was capable of producing. so, if a mill could kick out, say, 1000 b.f./day then 700 b.f. was a good day. that left room for machinery maintenence and repair, do any of ya'll do something like this?
just sayin because it seems that thinking that if a mill is rated to produce, say, 1000 b.f./ in an 8 hour day and i expect that much, i'm prolly settin myself up for disappointment.

Chuck White

I have!

When we're sawing and we get down to where we have between 6 & 10 logs left on the pile, and it's getting really close to quitting time anyway, we'll shut down.

During the shut down time, we grease, oil and clean.

We'll also roll the remaining logs up close to the mill, in preperation for finishing up the next day.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Taylortractornut

The  Motor home company I work for uses Alder for  their cabinets for the reason that  was mention about being able to stain them to look like other woods.       
My overload permit starts after sunset

Red Pill

Quote from: Taylortractornut on December 28, 2011, 09:28:11 PM
The  Motor home company I work for uses Alder for  their cabinets for the reason that  was mention about being able to stain them to look like other woods.       

It's also a fairly light wood.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, only slightly heavier than dry aspen or butternut.

I don't see it here in the east yet. I guess because we have so much hardwood to select from.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mayor

I really like your optimistic look on things.....I'm the same way and although there are lots of folks out there talking about how something WONT work......there are the few successful business leaders that says it will!.

However......dont overestimate capabilities.   The hidden costs are what will eat you up in the long run and without all your ducks in a row, things could go sour in a hurry.  No. 1 is labor.....lots of hidden expenses here.....workers comp., unemployment matches, insurance, etc..  And, with logging being the no. 1 most dangerous work out there, workers comp will be quite high.   
Also is the equipment costs......initially I would start small with just one mill and a few guys.....see how things go and build a plan using this as a tool for the larger picture later.  That way, you will get your feet wet and see what you will need too change in the way of procedure, manpower, and equipment.

I know one thing......what your wanting too do is very possible but I hope you have a big pile of cabbage before you start....it might take a while too see returns.

Now these are just my views and I usually tend too lean toward the safe side of things.......I guess this is why I dont own my own company and have my millions in the bank already though!......Good Luck with your endeavor!.

SwampDonkey

Here is an article from May 2005 edition of "Logging and Sawmilling Journal"

Logging and Sawmilling May 2005

"BC’s Group Mills is being resourceful and creative in meeting evolving needs for quality wood products with its mill and harvesting operations, but it is struggling with getting access to sufficient timber resources."

Might also be something in these Forest Extension notes from the B.C. Ministry of Forests.

Extension notes

Solomon

I don't like to discourage anyone but his figures and projections , in my opinion are a little on the optimistic side.  Maybe Im a slow sawyer but a log 10 ft long at 28 or 30 inches is around 200 bf yield.   8000 BF equates to 40 logs that size.   8hrs????   I dont know.   Maybe cutting  8 , 10, or12/4.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Thank You Sponsors!