iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WOW ! big goins on in our small town.

Started by woody1, October 14, 2009, 09:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody1

Today a big film crew moved into town. They are filming a big movie with Densel Washington called Unstoppable. They've got traffic backed up and 50 tractor trailers. They are using the rail line from Milesburg to Tyrone. They were shooting below town today and are moving into town tommorrow, I hear.
Woody
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Tom

Wouldn't it be cool if you could get a bunch of sideline pictures.  They  might turn out to be historical, especially if there is a lot of joking around.  :)

JLeBouton

Hey guys, one of the guys on another forum that I frequent posted these pics of the movie being filmed.    Check it out!

http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=14601

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Brucer

Back in the winter of 2003/2004 they shot portions of the movie "Miracle" (about the US hockey team winning Olympic Gold at Lake Placid) in our tiny city. It was, well, ... interesting.

We were told that they would spend about $2,000,000 in our "city" of 3500. Not likely. Every carpenter in town got a week or so of work. The local coffee shop did OK. All the other businesses lost money.

They were filming winter scenes, and of course it was winter here, and this IS snow country. But that wasn't good enough. I guess we did too good a job of clearing our streets, 'cause they had special machines blowing artificial snow all over everything. It's actually finely chopped paper, and it got tracked into every business in town >:(.

Funniest thing was the metal roofs. They're steep and they're made of metal so they'll shed the snow (average annual snowfall -- 11'). But they didn't want all these coloured metal roofs in the film, they wanted them covered with SNOW. So they blew artificial snow onto them. And it slid off (duuuh). So they taped paper onto the roofs and sprayed on  some more "snow". It slid off (gosh, maybe the roofs have a 45 degree slope for a reason). Finally they attached a bunch of wool blankets to the roofs and sprayed on the "snow". That worked real well -- until a typical winter wind storm came along. Then they did it all over again :D.

Barb happened to be walking by when they were shooting in the daytime, so she got to see Kurt Russel do a scene. Basically, the whole shoot was prepped, a limo pulled up, Kurt Russel got out (looking like death warmed over), he talked to the director, they did a couple of takes, he got back in the limo, and left. Barb found out later that it was the makeup that made him look like a ghost -- something to do with colour balance.

There were persistent rumours that Kurt & Goldie Hawn were seen at a local restaurant one evening, but it was always someone who heard from someone. I was never able to find anyone who actually saw him off the set, and I couldn't even comfirm that she was in town.

All in all, it was pretty boring, and a DanG nuisance. I think our fair city gets about 2 minutes exposure in the final cut. And of course they gussied up the place it make it look like Lake Placid, NY.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

SwampDonkey

Brucer, I vaguely remember the adds for the film. Never actually watched it. Over at the movie database it seems to be well rated. Most modern films seem to do well to get a 5, this gets a 7.5. Apparently, 4000 men auditioned for the 20 member team. I think it would be an interesting movie. Seems there have been a few hockey movies over the years.

"Slapshot" starring Paul Newman
"Net Worth"
"The Rocket"
"Mystery,Alaska" starring Russel Crowe
"Young Blood" starring Rob Lowe
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gary

Tiger Warsaw with Patrick Swazye was filmed here. They wanted to film in my house. Came in looked it over and said if you change this and that we'll use it. Told them no way. People thought they could become movie stars or earn some extra money by being extras in the film. The ones who were trying for the extra money were disappointed. Kept them hanging around for 10 hours or more. Then only paid them for the time they were actually filming,for most people that was between 15 and 60 minutes a day.

Ron Wenrich

I was in Ocean City, MD when they shot "Violets are blue" with Sissy Spacek.  We watched them do a shoot in one area of town.  They had closed off all the roads, and were using cars from the late 70s.  We watched for nearly 1 hour.  The scene lasted all of about 10 seconds in the movie.

We rented the movie, and it was neat seeing a lot of the spots that we are familiar with in the town.  But, it was a real snoozer.

I remember they did the film "Numbers" in one town in the county.  John Travolta actually had an evening where he met with local people to answer questions and sign autographs.  They said he was pretty personable and wouldn't blow you off.

easymoney

a few years ago i was selling grapevine wreaths and rustic crafts wholesale and someone making a movie found my website and wanted to buy large diamater grapevine in long pieces. they had me to box it up and ship it overnight to where they was filming. it cost a fortune for overnight and they bought quite as few boxes. i never knew the movie they were making but it was about frontier days and they said they had some  barrels that  needed to be wrapped in grapevine to look authentic.

Onthesauk

They filmed a mountain rescue movie in our town back in the late 50's, early 60's with David Jansen as the star.  They recently had a showing of the movie at the community center, lots of newspaper articles, interviews with locals who were in the movie.  Sounded like great fun, maybe a different era.  The best quote was from our current mayor, a wonderful lady in her late 70's who said, "You haven't lived until you've walked down the street behind David Jansen in tight jeans." :)
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

DanG

Sometimes they leave something worthwhile behind.  They filmed "Something Wild" in our area back in the 80s.  They restored an old relic of a Gulf service station in Quincy just like it would have been in the mid-fifties.  It has been maintained in "new" condition ever since as the headquarters for the local classic car club. :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

JayG

I work in downtown Dallas, TX and alot of the "Walker Texas Ranger" was fimed around our building. They tried to do alot of the filming on Sat. as not to jamup the traffic. Also, some of "Prison Break" was filmed in front of our building. I do not watch TV so I never saw the results of the filming!

thedeeredude

That's nothing, I live five minutes from Jon and Kate +8.   :(  Nothing to brag about i guess ::) 

Dave Shepard

There have been a couple of big movies shot around here. One was about five miles from here. Meryl Streep and Liam Neeson. Lots of talk, but otherwise not too exciting. So exciting I can't even remember the name. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

nas

Had a movie shot in front of my barn before I bought the place.  People keep telling me that but they can't remember the name of the movie. >:( Must have been a good one. ::)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Brucer

Quote from: DanG on October 16, 2009, 12:49:58 PM
Sometimes they leave something worthwhile behind.

Yep, they do.

In our case, they added a few signs to make Rossland look like Lake Placid in the 1980's. Our now-vacant bank has a brick wall that's about 2 stories higher than the stores on the main drag, and they painted that with an advertisement from the 1930's. Made it look like an original ad that had faded and flaked a bit over some 50 years. All the other signage was related to the 1980 Olympics.

Well, when the movie people pulled out, they hired some local painters to remove everything. But folks here told 'em to leave the advertisement on the side of the bank. Just paint over the line at the bottom that said "Lake Placid, N.Y." (that might've confused visiters :D)

The sign is still there. It fits with the character of the town and could easily have been there for the last 80 years.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ironwood

I saws a TON of those Haddad trucks leaving the Burgh last week, I figured it a was a film crew (they had new DOT # taped over the old Haddad ones, looked like someone was spending a ton of money) I just didn't know where they were going. I just was thru Tyrone the other day as well.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

woody1

Furby just send me a pm. The movie Unstoppable come out in Nov. 12th. It os going to be interesting to see the local sites in the movie.
Woody
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

terrifictimbersllc

"Mystic Pizza" went down here in 1988.  Lived about 5 miles away at the time and didn't go in to see any of the goings on.  But it turned Mystic Pizza into a pretty much international name, good for them.  Used to be a hole in the wall with laundromat next door.  Now it's all Mystic Pizza and the movie of the same name is playing round and round all the time.  Now I'm just down the street.  Great food, when my wife is gone I get takeout and share some with the dog on my way home.     The movie is not so great, IMHO.

Pizza:    http://www.mysticpizza.com/restaurants.aspx
Movie:   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095690/
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Patty

We had a movie done just up the road aways from us. Twister was the movie filmed in 1996. It was a really DUMB movie, but all the locals got a big kick out of it. The female star was a real piece of work, not at all even a hint of nice in her, I never bothered to learn her name.....and I am guessing she didn't learn mine either!!  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

TimRB

I got to be an extra in a movie filmed here some years ago.  Seems they had a need for "rustic-looking" people and vehicles.  Anyway, if you ever want to be treated like dirt, become an extra.  "Out On A Limb" with Matthew Broderick--one of the worst movies of all time.  Even I have never been able to sit through the entire thing.

Tim

gary

They filmed another dud here also. Tiger Warsaw with Patrick Swazy

laffs

they did empire falls up here with paul newman he didnt say much about the movie in the interview but said  the fishing was good. would have been cool to meat him out on the river. brother inlaw met arlo guthrie once while fishing. smoked a joint with him and guthrie says you dont know who iam do ya  then it hit him, alices resturant
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

SwampDonkey

Patty I guess you weren't a "Mad About You" sitcom fan. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

A number of years ago they did "Lucky Numbers" with John Travolta and Lisa Kudrow in one of the neighboring towns.  The reports were that those 2 folks were pretty decent people.  They often took time off to talk to the locals and sign autographs.  Good for their image.

Thank You Sponsors!