iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

axe men vs. american logger

Started by blkhillsvt, March 23, 2009, 01:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blkhillsvt

Hi everyone,
I may be bias about my thinking, but out of curiosity what are everyone's opinions pertaining to the t.v. series axe men and american logger?
JD 340D cable skidder,Stihl MS440,Stihl 046
Deeds are fruits, words are but leaves

chainspinrunner

Well I hope the East coast and West coast are working together on this one. Shouldn't be VS. more of a comparison than a competition.

It is nice to see that they have shown both coasts work.

The Southeast has it's own ways of the woods too!
Grose

Jeff

Actually, as the shows go, Ive enjoyed the American Logger show much more this year then Ax men. Maybe because its new and different, maybe its just because it doesn't have that loud mouth abusive underwater "logger" on it. I want to turn ax men off when ever that guy comes on the screen but can't because I need to run the contest.

The timber harvesting methods on American Logger are much closer to what we have here in Michigan, other then the extreme trucking. That's neither a plus or a minus in the shows for me I guess, but its kinda fun to see something that I may have actually done at one time or another.

The thing to remember for sure is, that these are Entertainment Television shows. Not Documentaries.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

stumpy

I prefer American logger of the two.  I wish they'd show more logging and less trucking though.  But I really like Heli-loggers best of the three.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

stonebroke

I like american logger but maybe that is because Melvin isn't on anymore. Neither kind of logging is anywhere close to what loggers do around me. (chainsaw felling, whole log skidding behind cable skidders, bucking onlanding with chainsaws, Triaxle trucks with pups)
But it is neat to see how other people do it.

Stonebroke

Jeff

I'd have to agree with Stumpy. Heli Logging seems to be the best of the 3 shows in my opinion.

racer9

I like them both, but I don`t care much for the s&s aqua logging part. I say bring back Melvin. I was surprised to see levi working with Dewayne for Pihl tho.

I liked the Gustafson crew the best out of all of them.
Husky 345, Husky 55 rancher, Husky 372xp, Husky 288, Husky 395xp

stumpy

One thing I noticed about Heli-Loggers is they are extremely vocal about safety and protecting the environment.  From that standpoint, it probably quiets some of the public that is just looking at things to attack logging with.  OOPs, did I just hijack the thread ???

thecfarm

I prefer American Logger to Axman,but American Logger is in Maine too.American logger seems so low key.No getting all worked up,the cussing is no where near as much.On American Logger the loader pinched a tire and he helped the driver change it.They was joking around while doing it.No jumping up and down and acting stupid or swearing.Axman always have to have a new guy to make fun of.Stand around and run him down,instead of trying to help.But I hope most of it is done for TV.
I do like to watch how logging is done on Axman.I find it very interesting.I like any kind of logging really.On American Logging that's how some is being done around here,without the big delimber.But there are still some one-two men crew that just have a skidder.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

Last season I was pretty fascinated by the first few Ax-man shows.  Then once I seen about all I was going to see about how they did logging,  it just came down to fighting, bickering, cursing and doing stupid things.

I tried to watch it this season but just couldn't get into it.  Mary burned out early last year and wouldn't watch it.  Any time I'd turn to it, she'd say, "I'm going to the other room."  Too realistic for her I guess?

I have watched three American Loggers and find it more tolerable.   It's probably balanced about right for the general public.  But like others that have commented, I'd like to see more of the logging and less of the trucking and personal stuff.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WILDSAWMILL

The axmen seems to be more about bitching & cussing
am logger gets my vote
i allso wood like less trucking & more logging
Kascosaw2B

chevytaHOE5674

Heli loggers is better than both IMO. More on the actual in's and out's of logging. They preach and practice safety, where the others seem to not care two poops about it.

Jeff

I actually learned quite a bit on the last heli logger show.  Like what a safety "Audit" was.

WDH

I like American Loggers better because the people have class.  It was neat to see the big bonfire/cook-out celebration last show.  That is how real people do things.  On Ax Men, there is a jerk on most of the crews.  Ax Men is more about "people behaving badly" than it is about real life situations.  Tonight, the Aqua Logger was intolerable. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

QuoteTonight, the Aqua Logger was intolerable

You said it. I'm not sure intolerable is even strong enough. He did call himself something I agreed with once.

WDH

I agreed loudly and immediately when he self confessed ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

MaineLogger

I like them both.(Axe Men)The aqua logging had me laughing so hard tears were coming out of my eyes.(American Logger)After the wet summer and fall we had up here I don't think they are going to show you much of what was going on in the woods.Maybe this show would be a little better if they showed more Americans logging! ;)
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

racer9

I also agree on the s & s guys. If my dad ever yelled and swore at me like that, I know I would kick his a**.
The kid on there reminds me too much of Napolean Dynamite.
Husky 345, Husky 55 rancher, Husky 372xp, Husky 288, Husky 395xp

stumphugger

None of the above?  I do like the heliloggers show.  The scenery from up those trees is pretty.   I've only watched American Loggers once, and it seemed more like it was American Truck Accidents.  I don't mean to offend anyone, but I worked in the Midwest and found it too boring.  Flat ground means no views and everything was mechanized, except for one small outfit. However, the ticks made things interesting.  I can't stand ticks!!!

Axemen is Dramaqueen logging.  They are trying to make it too interesting.  Skyline logging is my favorite type to deal with, even though the ground is nasty, and all the stuff they have to stage is rediculous.  Sure it happens, but not as frequently as they are showing.  That Brad character would not have been hired in the first place, unless he was a family member or son of a very close friend.  The faller who also seems to work in the rigging?  Doesn't happen much.   Yanking 45 minutes on a cull log (shown in the first season) doesn't happen if a company wants to stay in business.  Send a saw down to buck it up!!  I almost threw a heavy object at the TV on that one. 

I am disappointed about how the Axemen show has deteriorated.  I find that I have to watch it just to see how badly it portrays logging.   Oh, the language doesn't bother.  Some crews do talk that way around here. 

Aqualogging?  I concentrate on a crossword puzzle when they are on.  And turn the volume off. 

Dan_Marino

Im thinking that hardwood logging should be thrown into the mix at some point.  Its a whole different type of logging.  Swedish Hinge felling or boring on whiteoak, red oak, maple ash, hickory, poplar ect ought to be depicted at some point.  Skid road building, dozer bunching and cable skidders would be nice to see.  Id Like to see feller bunchers and grapple skidders working.  And I bet people would be amazed watching a 600 horsepower whole tree chipper chomping on an entire 30 inch sycamore 120 feet long.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Dan_Marino on March 24, 2009, 10:14:39 AM
And I bet people would be amazed watching a 600 horsepower whole tree chipper chomping on an entire 30 inch sycamore 120 feet long.

I sure was 20 years ago, especially amazed at a Koering Feller Forwarder taking a whole tree off the stump, toss it on the bunk and reach for another, then another until the bunk was full and then roll out to roadside, dump. Then watch a flail debarker , and a chipper feed a chipping van in no time flat. The trees were not average 30 inch, but there were trees up to 45 inches and they were maple, beech, yellow birch stands. It was a shame though to. Everything became chips even good logs and it was all clear cutting.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chainspinrunner

Yes! We deffinetely need to see how we log the hardwood. Its where a lot of high quality logs are grown. The underwater guy really does surprise me to  how difficult he makes his job! Can't help but laugh. My two cents- Next season cmon down to the hardwood sector!
Grose

SuperDuty335

The best of all the logging programs is Extreme Logging, especially the episode where they followed Bobby Goodson All-Terrain Logging down here in NC and the mule loggers in Tennessee. The mule loggers were select cutting some nice oak, ash and hickory. Helli-Logging with Gordo the supervisor is also one of the best shows. American Loggers would be a lot better if they kept all the tires on the ground. Axemen is a good soap opera.

timber tramp

Swedish hinge felling ??? Unfamiliar with the term, could someone explain? Thanks, :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

wi woodcutter

I liked the Extreme Logging with the mule loggers. I would like to hang out with those guys for a few days. I noticed that they tried to help and teach the "green horn". I think that the "horn" said green horn doesn't mean dumba$$.  
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

SwampDonkey

Just like the sheriff of "High Plains Drifter". "Don't confuse fat with stupid." :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Marino

Quote from: timber tramp on March 24, 2009, 11:34:32 PM
   Swedish hinge felling ??? Unfamiliar with the term, could someone explain? Thanks, :) TT

Some people call it controlled felling, some call it directional felling, some call it bore cutting.  When i was introduced to it 13 or 14 years ago the guy that taught me called it Swedish Hinge Felling.  So thats what i always refer to it as.  Make a face cut, bore the lower side of the tree leaving a hinge of 1 inch to two inches (varies on conditions, type of tree) go around and bore the other side trying to match the other bore cut to the previous bore cut.  Bring the second around to leave some holding wood.  The tree is now ready to be felled.  It is sitting on a hinge and some holding wood.  walk around cut the holding wood and the tree begins to fall slowly while you can walk away safely.  Its the safest way to cut a tree hands down...it is really good with leaning trees.  I used to have some pictures of the whole process - Ill see if I can find them. 

Edit...there are some other tricks that you can do that I didnt go into.  On a high dollar veneer tree or even a tree that you have to make an extremley large hing on you can bore out the face of the hinge also.  Some guys use this cut also if they dont have an extremely long bar on their saw.  You can bore three ways to get a large tree down.  Alot o white oak requires to "cut the ears" off the hinge....there are alot of things that I could talk about but its tough trying to relate on the forum about it.

Cedarman

When I went through the game of logging in So Indiana, they called it open face felling.  It was taught to us by a Swede  named  Sorenson. (I think that is how he spelled his name)
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

chainspinrunner

His name Soren Eriksson, his game --  Game of Logging. It is a great informational, insurance -safe course given throughout part of the Northeast. There are 4 levels and it is a fun, educational, safety program that has given me some quality info when I cut, I have used a lot of techniques and tools from this. Soren created a Pro-sight card that is the most helpful when dealing with lean, height, and distance. If the proper cut is made and procedure is taken this card can help you calculate how to put your leaner back in the other direction.

Smart man started a smart organization, they have competitions and all sorts of fun events!
Grose

beenthere

Soren Eriksson was visiting the U of WI back in the late 70's or early 80's, and developing his ideas with University Extension. They wanted a woods to put on a demonstration, and I offered mine. In looking back, his techniques changed my way of cutting down trees more safely. But I still learned more when taking his GOL from Ken Lallemont a couple years ago, who learned from Soren I believe.

I heard he will be putting on a level 1 & 2 on April 15th & 16th near LaFarge, Wi
(just in case anyone is interested).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stumpy

Hey BT, do you have a website or contact number for that class? ???

beenthere

Ken Lallemont   ken_lallemont@hotmail.com

or his mobile phone # is 715-563-2545

http://www.ken-lallemont.com/

;D ;D  yup!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stumpy

arojay

I haven't seen American Loggers yet.  I saw an episode of the Heli show on Discovery and I kind of liked it, but I liked Axmen at the start too.  I like to see how things are done in different applications but guys usually start to act when the camera shows up.  Just look at how politicians began to show off when the cameras showed up in their respective Houses.  Maybe that's not a good example. 
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Cedarman

Thanks chainspinrunner for the name.  I kept thinking Erik Sorenson and I knew that wasn't right.  He cut a cedar down and limbed it just for me after the session was over for the day.  About a 7" at the stump tree, came back pinched the saw, pushed it over by hand.  No different than what we do, but the big thing was when he limbed the tree.  Silky smooth!.  That little demo was worth a lot in making us more efficient at delimbing.  The safety learned was extremely important  too.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

chainspinrunner

You're welcome cedarman, I have completed level 3 out of 4 for the game of logging and recommend it to anyone who plans to do any type cutting or saw work! Also check out the Pro-Sight card that he had made, it is fun to work with.
Grose

Samuel

Just so everyone knows, Extreme Logging Productions (Discovery Channel) spent the coldest part of winter (Dec-Jan) when our temperatures were averaging -35 or so, with one of our portable chipping contractors here in Northern Alberta.  That should make for an interesting series for sure...
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

WILDSAWMILL

the axe men seems a wast this year
am logger was good needs less trucking though
Kascosaw2B

SouthernRumRunner

For the ones who like American logging check this site out. http://americanloggers.com/

Thank You Sponsors!