iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scrap metal retirement

Started by hackberry jake, April 01, 2013, 05:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

When I finally get around to cleaning around the shop, I usually have about a half a truckload of scrap metal to haul off. I took in a pretty small load today and got $57. My company just quit matching anything on 401k and it makes me want to find another retirement plan. I figure the price of metal will usually keep up with the price of energy and I don't see energy getting any cheaper. For you smarter fellars out there; would saving scrap metal be a wise investment plan?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

red oaks lumber

that depends on how much you want your place to look like sanford and son.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

hackberry jake

If I can retire a few years earlier I wouldn't care if it looked like Armageddon. Plus I have a heavy stand of sweet gum trees I could hide it in. The ole lady may not agree...

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

beenthere

QuoteThe ole lady may not agree...
Still living with Mom?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

how are you going to collect this scrap? driving around looking for it? buying it? eevery way costs money and takes time. it might pay better working a p.t. job and invest the money into your retirement all the while keeping your place looking good and making your wife happy.just my few ounces of scrap
beenthere  thankyou :D

hackberry jake

I was thinking more like not hauling any off until I retire. I am the only one in my circle of friends and relatives that has a shop. I let whoever use it as long as they respect it. They always leave brake rotors and radiators and whatnot. Sometimes even whole vehicles that they bought for parts. Also have old dozer chains and whatnot.

red oaks lumber

sounds like you gotta a good start on the junk yard. still cashing it in and putting the money earning interest is still better that having your place condemned or needing a permit to operate as a junk yard but, hey your not my neibor so knock yourself out!

loggah

Every now and then i haul some scrap into my buddys scrapyard, but  i also cut oversized scrap with my cat 235 shear ,shes old but works good !!! ;D Don

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red oaks lumber on April 01, 2013, 06:01:39 PM
that depends on how much you want your place to look like sanford and son.

:D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hackberry jake

I live out in the middle of the woods. Not worried about neighbors or being condemned. And if I sell it and put it in the bank to collect interest, I'll bet scrap metal prices go higher than the interest a bank will pay. Scrap is pretty much guaranteed to keep up with inflation.

petefrom bearswamp

At age 27, the "ole Lady" Wow.
I wouldn't collect scrap on purpose but it has accumulated around here over the years and is an unexpected bonus.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Al_Smith

Not neccessarily .The reason scrap is up and has been was the Chinese trying to corner the market on scrap steel .Besides that just try dealing with a scrap buyer some time .They aren't your buddy .

Peter Drouin

Quote from: loggah on April 01, 2013, 06:21:26 PM
Every now and then i haul some scrap into my buddys scrapyard, but  i also cut oversized scrap with my cat 235 shear ,shes old but works good !!! ;D Don

thats nice , is the cat around 44,000 lb with out the head
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

You got the room,go at it. When people come see me they have no idea the junk,that's what my wife calls it,I have down back. My step son brought over his FIL and we took a walk out back. My wife had a fit that he would see all my "junk" The DIL said he will think he has died and gone to heaven.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hackberry jake

Never know when some of the "junk" will come in handy. I have used pieces of dozer chain for gate hinges, axle tubes as t-post drivers, angle iron for just about everything (including pineywoods log turner), round bar stock for re-I forcing broken frames. 1" round bar makes perfect horseshoe stakes. I used old I-beams and whatnot to make a frame to mount pallet forks on the tractor. It makes me cringe when I see the prices on new steel. Maybe I'm a hoarder  ;D I dont think ill run out of lumber or steel for a while.

GAB

Let's properly describe it.  It's a spare parts repository.  Not a junk or scrap pile.
It's also a good place to get ideas on how to fix something.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

trapper

I heard the rustier it gets the more it weighs. better interest than the bank.   ;D
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

hackberry jake

Inflation goes up over 3 percent a year. Whatever intrest the bank will give you has a hard time keeping up. Energy prices have easily doubled in the last 10 years. Energy prices are tied to metal prices because it takes diesel/propane/electricty to mine the ore, process it into iron, haul it to where it needs to go and melt it back down again. You save a lot of energy salvaging the steel thats already refined. (scrap) I think it sounds pretty feasable.

brendonv

I give my scrap away.  I figure by the time I drive there in my diesel pickup, on my time, I really wouldn't make that much.  Plus I hate messes in the yard,  I figure looking at a log pile, two trucks, two trailers, and equipment attachments is plenty.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

haywire woodlot

After my old time logger neighbour passed on, his widow was able to sell over $80k worth of scrap metal of the property. Now whenever I drag another piece of old iron home, I like to say to my bride, I'm providing for your future! ;D
Dave

coxy

that a good way to look at it make your wife and her new friend rich :D :D ;D ;D :) :)  i save most all my scrap to  but the copper and brass  i sell every year helps fund my weekend at loggers fest in boonville :)   

loggah

I probably got 200 tons of old iron hanging around ,but i hate to send it to China !!!! i have cut a lot of tractors and trucks up in the scrapyard and i really wish it was being recycled in the U.S. and not sent over seas!!!! It would not bother me as much to provide jobs here in the good old USA !!! Peter the 235 with labounty MSD 220 shear weighs about 110,000 lbs. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Corley5

Quote from: haywire woodlot on April 01, 2013, 11:02:14 PM
After my old time logger neighbour passed on, his widow was able to sell over $80k worth of scrap metal of the property. Now whenever I drag another piece of old iron home, I like to say to my bride, I'm providing for your future! ;D

And this brings up of the question of whether it's appropriate for the auction notice to appear in the same edition as the obituary  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

I bet my wife would just about do that.   ;D  She really has a fit about my "junk". As I said it's out back and can not be seen from the house.
Can you tell my wife is citifed???? Country folk have junk.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

breederman

My stuff is not junk its "inventory "
Together we got this !

Thank You Sponsors!