iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Manual mill Tweaks

Started by Lud, May 31, 2006, 07:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lud

A month ago I had a spell when I left an oak  log on the Simplicity mill I have and I got that staining that adds so much to the appearance and value of the wood!!  >:( >:(  The paint on the crossmembers had worn away with all the log flipping that 60" Logrite  lets me do.  What to do?

Now I know you guys in the Orange Hoarde with all the hydraulics don't have these problems but is anybody covering the rails with something better than paint?  It needs to be tough enough to take the impact of rolling heavy logs with edges and still let you slide the log so you can roll it.... and it won't stain.

I was thinking of the various plastics and cheapness is a quality I appreciate so I super glued some flat 1/8" vinyl window shutter slats to the rails.  Seem to be holding up  good and let me slide a big log  easily to set up for the roll.  The white strips are real visable and might save a barked shin.

How are others dealing with this issue? ??? ???
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Larry

Never worried to much bout it.  Had wood strips that I put on top of the bunks sometimes but that wasn't to satisfactory.

When I built a new toe board I went ahead and did it right with 1" stainless steel.  I was going to use solid...but it was $17/foot.  Retrospect this was one mod I should have done the day I got the mill.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

IL Bull

Welcome to the forum. 8)
My brothers timber king has stainless steel covers on his bunks.  Seems to work very well.  My old manual mill is just like yours was, paint only.  It does cause stain,  white oak is the worst. :P
Joe
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

jpgreen

Maybe find a buddy with a metal brake and stomp shear then bend some stainless covers up. Used to be you could find a sheet metal fabracation shop that did restaurant hoods and such and get stuff like that done pretty cheap, but now nothings cheap labor wise.

I've got the brakes but no time right now, and shipping is rediculous..  ::)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

RichlandSawyer

I was kicking around the idea when the mill is finished of taking it to the place that does spray on bedliners and have them coat the top of my bunks. The profesionaly applied stuff seams to be pretty tough.
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

ohsoloco

Isn't that spray on bedliner stuff "grippy"  ???  The drop in type are really slick (yes, I've lost a load of lumber at a stop light before  :D ), but I've noticed that the spray in type doesn't let anything slide around on them. 

I have the same problem with the paint being rubbed off on my Lumbermate bunks.  Even if I'm cutting cherry, it's so bad now that my cant gets stained in the time it takes me to slab a face and pull off a flitch or two  :(  I've been meaning to slap some wax on them to get by, but I don't think it'll last long at all. 

Tom

I think that the only satisfactory resolution is a strip of stainless.

getoverit

How about splitting a piece of PVC pipe lengthwise and slipping it over the exposed edge?
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Tom

I don't think it would stand the abuse, Ken.

LeeB

wood aluminum work? it wood be cheaper i think. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

It may.  the stain comes from a chemical reaction between the steel (iron) and the tannin in the wood creating Iron Tannate (the black stain)  It usually doesn't go deep into the wood unless the wood is allowed to rest on iron for an extended period of time.  Generally it can be planed off, but, it is hard to sell rough lumber that has the marks.

Just remember that anything placed on the bunks will change the blade/bunk measurement and a compensation will have to be made in the mill's scale.

jpgreen

Don't use aluminum.  It will oxcidate and leave black marks, plus not hold up.

Flat stainless and flathead screws, or pop rivets, or epoxy it down but that would be tough to replace.

I would cut flat stainless, and pop rivet it appropriately spaced.  Cheap and easily replaceable. Flathead sheet metal screws  would work also..  :)

Engineer

There are several plastics suppliers that sell both UHMW plastic sheets and teflon sheets that range from 1/32" thick to 1/8" thick.   Only problem I see is, how do you get the teflon to stick to the bed rails?

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Lud

I'll keep an eye out for a bit of stainless sheet stock, as that makes sense.  Evenan old piece of restaraunt  equipment that  could be cut up.  Did I say I was cheap?  Those window blinds are in place and working fine at the moment.  I'll try to get a pic this morning.

Y'know, Tom, my scale doesn't look any different at all using these strips! :D :D :D  JUST THE LAST BOARD! ;D

Really, with trying to miss dogs,  "see" the scale thru bifocles,  etc.,  I've taken to putting a tape on the cant prior to the last cut and just splitting the difference.  Works for me........
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

slowzuki

I have galvanized electrical mounting tracks for bunks.  Not the strongest stuff but it doesn't rust quickly.

Michigan Mike

Hey I thought you guys all cut wood . I dont have a mill yet but my first thought was just to cut some hardwood strips and screw them down.  Am  I missing somthing? ??? ???

Engineer

Quote from: Michigan Mike on June 01, 2006, 09:24:10 AM
Hey I thought you guys all cut wood . I dont have a mill yet but my first thought was just to cut some hardwood strips and screw them down.  Am  I missing somthing? ??? ???

Yes.  Putting anything other than a very thin strip or coating on the mill bunks changes the scale of the mill to some extent.  Most mills are somewhat adjustable, but maybe not by more than a quarter inch or so.  I know that I can't adjust my mill scale much more than 1/4" unless I drill new mounting holes for the scale.  Besides, most hardwood strips will get rapidly chewed up by the abuse that a mill bed takes.  It's much better to use the stainless strips, or some type of ultra-high molecular weight plastic. 

Michigan Mike

OK   I'm properly chastised.  This dosen't mean I willl keep my foot out of my mouth. I have a ton of dumb questions and probably almost as many dumb sugestions. Just  so long as I know some one will set me straight I will keep putting in my two cents.

jpgreen

Nobody gets chastised around here Mike.. cept for an occasional freeloading salesperson..  :D

Engineer

Not here to beat up on ya, Mike.  I learn something new everyday, otherwise it's a wasted day.

Of course, a day spent wasted ....   ;D

Michigan Mike

I in no  way thought I was getting beat up. I asked a question  perhaps with a bit of an atitude  ::) and got  an answer. I know I have a lot to learn and I appreaciate the easy flow of questions and answers. I try not to take myself  to seriously and my second post on the thread was ment to poke fun at myself.

KILROY

Lud,
The material that is used for the spray on bed liners is available at some paint stores. It comes clear or can be tinted any color. It will go on smooth if that is how you spray it. They intentionally spray it rough on truck beds.

It takes a special spray gun to spray it. The stores may lend them or rent them out.

I have never used this material. A farmer I sawed for gathered this information. He bought a new truck and wanted to protect it from rock dings from gravel and dirt roads. He was going to spray the bottom third of the truck, to keep the paint from chipping. The store would lend him the spray rig. Check with your local paint stores for some information. For the bed rails you could just paint it on.

If your bed rails are about the same size as Woodmizers. just order a set.

Thank You Sponsors!