iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chaps saved the day

Started by yamaha605, December 22, 2015, 11:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamaha605

So I figured id share this for the ones that might not wear chaps.  I was clearing a steep hillside today at my house.  First mistake was not setting the chain brake.  But I laid the chainsaw on my leg and stepped up the hill note I laid the motor on my leg not the bar.  But when I went to pick the saw up the chain was touching my leg.  Accidently hit the throttle and this was the results.  I never wore chaps till my wife bought me my 661cm she bought a set of chaps with it and said WEAR THEM.  So I started wearing them.  They were a set of Stihl pro mark chaps and they stopped the chain dead in the watter.  Will most definitely be buying another set of them after this.

Stihl 034 av super,  Stihl ms290 Farmboss,  Stihl 661 c-m

sandsawmill14

that could have been bad better thank the wife for them and KEEP WEARING THEM  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Remember to get a new pair ASAP. Chaps are a one time save. The effectiveness is drastically reduced after a strike as the Kevlar is pulled. That pair just saved saved you enough by keeping you out of the emergency room and loss of income or worse to easily pay for the replacements and much much more.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

cbla

thecfarm

I have so far have never had the chaps save me. BUT the chain brake has a few time. I never gave the brake much thought until one day I was on top of the pulp pile with my saw. I was sawing the pulp to length when I moved over to the next cut. I slipped on the pile,my hand was on the throttle and I caught myself from falling,BUT I squeezed the trigger and the saw was wide open.  :o
I never wore chaps until about 15 years ago. I met the wife and she brought me a pair.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jakedaawg

Hard to think that ruining a pair of chaps can be considered an early x-mas gift.

samandothers

Glad you prepared with the PPE (personal protective equipment) and they performed their duty.   Thank you for sharing.  The more people see and hear this type of thing the more likely they will take the correct step to purchase a pair.  I did not own chaps until joining the FF and reading the posts here.  I have and wear them but have not had to use their services..... yet.

Magicman

Thanks yamaha605.  Sharing your experience could be the motivation that another chainsaw needed to buy/use chainsaw chaps.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

yamaha605

Quote from: Jakedaawg on December 23, 2015, 08:40:05 AM
Hard to think that ruining a pair of chaps can be considered an early x-mas gift.
lol.  I hadn't thought about it like that but your right lol. 

Guys that was my exact thoughts on sharing this with the picture.  Just maybe someone that doesn't wear them might start.  I am hard headed as they come about stuff.  Actually laughed at my wife when she bought them.  But guess whos laughing now.  One cant stress enough  WEAR THEM.  I allways had the wont happen to me attitude but the attitude is gone now.  After this I would strongly suggest these stihl chaps.  I can vouch for them they work.

jcmc

Yes they did! Wear mine faithfully

gspren

Good post! Like others I didn't wear them until joining the FF and reading stories like this, now I do.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

rasawing

Does anybody know if they make a jumpsuit with the kevlar built into them? Most of the time you see them and they are intended for bullet protection. Leg chaps are great (I've got some myself), but I've had a couple of kickback situations before where my arm/shoulder was in the line of fire (i.e. the safety helmet I had on would not have stopped it if it had gone all the way back because the blade wasn't lined up with my head).

49er

I wear mine almost all the time I am cutting. I would feel very stupid if I cut my leg and the chaps were on the 4wheeler or in the truck.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

Jeff

I know they make chainsaw chap bibs.  Bibbychaps :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

celliott

Quote from: rasawing on December 23, 2015, 04:22:26 PM
Does anybody know if they make a jumpsuit with the kevlar built into them? Most of the time you see them and they are intended for bullet protection. Leg chaps are great (I've got some myself), but I've had a couple of kickback situations before where my arm/shoulder was in the line of fire (i.e. the safety helmet I had on would not have stopped it if it had gone all the way back because the blade wasn't lined up with my head).

There are jacket\shirts that have chainsaw protection built in. Also they make pants instead of chaps. And boots with kevlar built in. I think they're much more popular overseas, where here you see just chaps\helmet steel toe leather boots, or a combination of the 3, if anything.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

yamaha605

Quote from: rasawing on December 23, 2015, 04:22:26 PM
here is the link to stihls shirt  http://www.stihlusa.com/products/protective-and-work-wear/chain-saw-protective-apparel/proshirt/   Look on there site they offer cut retardant gloves also looks like pretty nice stuff

JW IN VA

After years of cutting with at most a pair of Carhartt bibs for protection,I got smart and ordered a pair of Labonville chaps.I cut by myself a lot and know what can happen.

_RJ_

There's just no reason to not have chaps on.

Sawmillpilot

After reading this, I'm convinced it's time to order chaps.  Since this subject is up, which are the best ones?  I LOVE my 066 Sthil, and pretty much everything Sthil professional. Are Sthil chaps the best?

Thank you for putting the fear of God in me!
A goal without a plan is just a dream...

ohiowoodchuck

I bought the Stihl pro marks in black. I believe they where around 80.00. Most people buy them after the fact. 100 bucks can save you a lot of money in hospitial bills and down time. It just makes sense to me.
Education is the best defense against the media.

outpost22

Well you've convinced me not to just use mine part time or only during tough cuts.
Thanks
Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

beenthere

The Stihl one's should work when that time comes. And you will be "in style" if that makes a difference.

But near any chap will be better than none at all. IMO

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JW IN VA

I got a Pair of Labonville full wrap after reading reviews.I'm sure others are good and maybe cheaper but I like these and felt that were best.Much cheaper than an ER visit!!!These weren't priced unreasonably and were shipped to me in a timely manor.Don't think the vendor is a sponsor or I'd give their name.
Comstock ( a site advertiser) has a good price on theirs now.Check them out.

yamaha605

Quote from: outpost22 on December 27, 2015, 11:43:03 AM
Well you've convinced me not to just use mine part time or only during tough cuts.
Thanks
Quote from: Sawmillpilot on December 27, 2015, 10:21:17 AM
After reading this, I'm convinced it's time to order chaps.  Since this subject is up, which are the best ones?  I LOVE my 066 Sthil, and pretty much everything Sthil professional. Are Sthil chaps the best?

Thank you for putting the fear of God in me!

Well you guys have officially made me glad I posted this. I am going to go with a set of the pro mark zip up chaps this time and remember when you order chaps just because it says 32 inch doesn't mean it fits if your pants length is 32.  Chaps are measured from the waist down.  Not the inseem.  My wife brought mine home as a 32 where I wear 32 length pants and they were way short lol.  Remember to measure from where you want the waist strap to set to your ankles to know what size you need.  At least that's the way stihls is measured not sure about all the others id make sure before I ordered.  Thank you guys a lot for making me glad to post this.  Im glad this site isn't like youtube or any of the other sites where I would have gotten bashed for posting this by people bashing me for what I done wrong instead of doing like you guys did and thanking me for this info. You two order your chaps before you have to make a trip to the hospital.  crap does happen lol

Thank You Sponsors!