iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about end grain

Started by Schramm, February 05, 2013, 10:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schramm

When I buy from the Kirkland mill they have the end grain coated in some green type paint, so I am wondering now that it will be me milling, is there a need to coat the end grains?  If so what is the reason and where can I buy the material to coat it.

Thanks
Rob

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey Rob,

You can use anything from commercial end sealer to pure wax.  It is use on green wood to keep it from drying too fast, since end grain is where the moisture leave the wood the quickest. You are working with reclaimed wood so you really don't need to bother.

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Schramm

Jay,

Good to hear from you.  Send me a message when you think that you have time to talk.  I have a question for you involving green timbers as a supporting beam for the 2nd floor in my house.  Let me know when you might have time.  If you would rather me take some pics of the area and tell you what I want to do I can do that tomorrow and send you an email.

Rob

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Rob,

I haven't forgot, I will try and give you a call this week or get in touch to tell you when to call  me.

Regards, 

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Thank You Sponsors!