iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Natural Tree Graft

Started by leot, January 26, 2013, 07:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leot

The Tree
Sometime in the early 1960s a white and red pine were struck by lightning. The White Pine fell into the red pine about 25 feet in the air this produced the natural tree graft that you see today. I've been monitoring this tree since the early 1970s. At that time the stump of the White Pine was still there along with a branch sticking out the back side of the red pine. The tree is on private property in the thumb of Michigan.

For 30 some years I would take the thumb area 4-H Camp kids on night hikes to view the tree in the dark. There is nothing like walking 80 kids 2 miles through the woods in the middle of night to see a tree in order to keep the location secret.

When we would arrive at the tree, we would proceed to tell stories. One of the earliest that I remember about this tree, is that at one time there was an eagle's nest on the White Pine portion of the tree.

48 in manual mill 1880's

beenthere

It does look photoshopped to me. That the only pic you have?

Interesting story for sure.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

leot

It is not.  It is one of only 3 Known of in the state

48 in manual mill 1880's

thecfarm

You talk about odd looking. I never seen or heard of something like that. Where are the other 2?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lumberjack48

Its absolutely unbelievable how the Norway adopted the White Pine. I've seen trees growing together from the stump up, never nothing like this, very interesting. The other two trees look like there Jack Pine.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Cedar Savage

Cool tree !  it would be interesting to graft a red & white pine togeather on purpose & see if it would take...
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

Magicman

I have heard that seeing is believing.  I'm seeing and still scratching my head.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

loggah

Looks like you must never get snow or ice up there, that white pine limb would get torn off for sure!!!!  ??? ???
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

leot

It is quite well protected by high ground around it.  as to snow and ice it's Michigan's Thumb so we get it. The other 2 are in the UP.  The DNR checks on this one regularly.
48 in manual mill 1880's

leot

It is also a really impressive sight at night.
48 in manual mill 1880's

Axe Handle Hound

I'm impressed.  I'm surprised that wind didn't keep shifting one or the other tree around and keep them from bonding. 

Ron Scott

~Ron

coxy

thats cool       a freak of nature dont pick on my twin :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!