iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Creating patina on White Oak boards???

Started by Jayson, January 16, 2007, 08:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayson

I am building a farm table for a brother in law. I milled some real nice planks(1 3/4"x14"x7') from a standing dead tree that a developer knocked down a couple of years ago. Now what I need to do is mimic the natural patina of air dried oak. The boards are oak. Then I will lightly plane the surface to remove the high spots leaving some of the patina undisturbed to produce an old an worn look rather than the freshly chainsawn surface I have now.Any help is appreciated.

Ironwood

The process is called "Fuming" and is done under a plastic clear tarp (to see the extent of color change) I can't recall the chemical or process exactly but search under FUMING at Woodweb. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Jayson

Exactly what I have come to expect from The Forestry Forum,PERFECTION!! Thanks Reid that's just what I needed. If there has not been a prior post by forum members I will report test results. If so I will post findings there. I will be trying several methods. Thanks Jayson

Den Socling

Search for ammonia. It darkens white oak and makes it the color of "old" oak furniture. Google will take you to some details, as well.

raycon

Search for Aqua Ammonia with white oak as key words.
Lot of stuff..

Thank You Sponsors!