iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stump grinder

Started by palmerstreeservice, February 10, 2005, 03:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

palmerstreeservice

has anyone ever used a skid loader stump grinder?  I am looking to purchase a stump grinder however I am undecided on whether to buy a pull behind or a skidloader run one.  My ultimate delema is that a skidloader will already be on scene and just having an attachment setting on the trailer would eliminate one more truck being there.

any thoughts?

palmerstreeservice

It seems as if there is nothing worse than having to cut a stump off at ground level so that the owners of the tree can mow over it instead of having it ground.  Not only is the task hard on the chain as you are bound to hit dirt but when the tree base is 3-4 ft getting the two cuts to line up is near impossible.  For one reason or another I feel like the bar gets pinched in the tree trunk and I seem to fight it.  I am sure it is becase I am fighting the motor to ground.  We check the bars on all saw often so I know that it isn't from burrs.  Anyone got a good way of tackling this?

chet

Yup, figured out a good way long ago.  I price flushing the stump as an added cost. And I make sure this price is high enough that the customer decides to tackle it themselves or get a buddy to try.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Tom

I've noticed that most flush-cut stumps here are dished out.  Is that because the operator is fighting the ground clearance or is it intentional?

tawilson

I do a plunge cut and rotate the saw inside the stump. Seems to help keep the blade out of the dirt. Don't cut all the way out either side till you're almost done otherwise it'll pinch the blade.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

leweee

I'm with Chet on this one..... That's why they invented stump grinders 8) 8) 8)
Too many rocks & hardware for my chainsaw :o
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

leweee

I'd want a demo of that attachment before i put out the $$$. The only ones I've seen that do a decent job are the tow behind models. Enough weight  & horsepower to be stable and not bounce around.
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Cedarman

The only thing worse than cutting a stump at ground level is cutting one below ground level.

The intense pleasure you will get from using a stump grinder is beyond belief if you have had to cut very many stumps low to the ground.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Roxie

The landscape design/build firm that I work for uses the pull behind type.  We generally line up a series of jobs that need the grinder and then hook it up and 'get er done'   :)
Say when

Larry

Quote from: Chet on February 10, 2005, 03:46:12 PM
Yup, figured out a good way long ago.  I price flushing the stump as an added cost. And I make sure this price is high enough that the customer decides to tackle it themselves or get a buddy to try.  :)

Now I know who took down the tree in Dad's yard. ;D

7' across at the flutes...30" bar...chunks came out in a pie shape...some to heavy to lift...get done and left one corner bout 2" high and Dad say's back to work...sharpened at least 5 times.
;D ;D ;D :D :D ;D ;D ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

palmerstreeservice

the guys I have talked to about the skid loader grinder all said it was very smooth however it wasn't quite as fast as a pull behind.  the loader models have two outrigers that come down an absorb all vibration so sitting in the loader is smooth. 

Still undecided

rebocardo

I write my contracts up as stumps are left 12-18 inches above ground. Many times I will take them much lower. But, if it looks like people have been piling rocks around the trunk to decorate it I simply will not cut into the lower trunk to see how many rocks or bricks I can find in the tree.

For professional urban use, I think the best grinder to have is the chain flail on a Bobcat because it makes short work of the bricks, stones, and other landscape "improvements" you find around the base of urban trees.

timberjack240

palmer
just save the money and buy the land owner an axe. they make great stress releivers, build muscle and the owner can do it how they wnat it done
just kiddin. i actually didnt no that they made tow behinds so sorry cant help ya here

timberjack 240

Bro. Noble

We've got one that mounts behind a tractor.  It works fine,  but is such a chore to put on and take off that we just leave in on the tractor permanently.  Blew a headgasket on the sawmill engine,  so been catching up on grinding stumps :-\  Not my favorite job.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Furby

I would ask myself which would be the easiest to get to the stump in an urban situation. You know what you have to deal with, so how many of the stumps would you have trouble backing the towbehind too, or pulling it with the skidloader?

palmerstreeservice

great points.... And in response to the Axe.... Some days I really wish I could!

Pedalbiker

My solution to the urban stumps is one of the smaller self propeled vermeer machines.  I can drive it through a 36" garden gate or even the back door of your garage to get to the back yard.  Not as fast on big stumps as a tow behind but the money is in the city/urban yards where room is at a premium.
Patrick Hubble
Coleman, MI

"You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it."      Charles Buxton

Thank You Sponsors!