iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stump grinder

Started by smwwoody, March 23, 2014, 05:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

Hi All

I have recently cut about 30 poplar and white oak to expand my yard.  they were all about 20" DBH.  I got a price of $3500 from a friend to dig them all out with an excavator.  I can rent a large stump grinder for $500 / week.  will the stup grinder do a good enough job to make yard after they are all ground.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

moosehunter

It will if you get the correct grinder. Some of the small rental center units will only go a few inches deep. You need to be 12- 18 inches deep to have enough top soil over what is left to have lawn on.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Chuck White

Might want to check out a stump grinder service!

Around here, if you have 6 or more stumps, they'll do them for $50.00 each!

They'll go down into the ground pretty good too.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

snowstorm

$3500???? he is not your freind. what dose he have for an excavator? half a day should do it unless there is something special about this job

js2743

i think for that price i would let them rot or burn them out. Get a barrell and set over the stump and burn them. 

Busy Beaver Lumber

I am going to agree with Snowstorm. I would not consider anyone a friend that offered to charge me $3500 to pull stumps. A friend would say, pay for my fuel and travel costs and buy me a steak dinner and we will call it even. I don't see that being more than 3 to 4 hours work with a decent size machine. I used to run a Kamotsu PC-120 with a 1 yard bucket and pulled 20 to 30 stumps per hour with it. Even with a Case 580 backhoe, I could pull about 10 an hour of the 20 inch variety. So first suggestion is to get a new friend >:
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

NWP

A friend of mine has a self propelled grinder. It does a good job. He charges $3/inch I think. If you could rent a stump grinder attachment for a skid steer that would probably do a good job
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

DonT

I have my own stump grinder and do it commercially. That said, if you have that many stumps in an area that you want to turn into a lawn , I would not advise grinding them. Many times the grinder does not remove all the stump but grinds it down to below ground level, usually about 10-14 inches  . Eventually the rest of the stump will decay and you will start to have soft spots in your lawn. I would suggest digging them out. Maybe you could dig a hole somewhere else and bury them, using the dirt from the hole for your lawn. Around here I can get a large excavator and operator for about 1500.00 a day, and it can do a lot in a day.   

5quarter

For $3500., I would expect that he pull the stumps, bring in topsoil, grade the whole area and seed it. even then, he might be a little high. ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!