iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need some suggestions!

Started by catluvr, April 05, 2009, 02:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catluvr

Hi everyone!  I'm new to this forum.  My husband and I just bought a home a few months back and have some wooded land.  We have have some small projects that we would love to do...deck...maybe a shed...I could keep going!!  We are thinking about buying a small sawmill, and my husband's buddy suggested that we check into a Champion Sawmill...13HP.  We can't seem to find much information on the company or the mill.  Does anyone know much about this company and mill??  I'd really like to find out more, and we are completely new to the world of milling!  Any help would be great, or if you know why we shouldn't look into a Champion, that would be appreciated, too.  God bless!

DanG

Welcome Catluvr.  No, I don't know any reason to not look into that or any other brand of mill.  Just don't buy it until you know what you're looking at.  In other words, look at as many different ones as you can so you can compare features, quality, and price.  A low price doesn't always mean the best deal.  Also, make sure as best you can that it is adequate for your needs.  Will it handle the biggest logs you are likely to take from your land?

Also, consider whether you should buy a mill or not.  Simply wanting one is the best reason I know to get one, assuming you can afford it.  If you're just thinking you need a mill to get your lumber cut, maybe you should consider just hiring a custom sawyer to do it for you.  Be aware that a sawmill alone won't be much good to you.  You also need chainsaws, Logrite cant hooks, a way to move logs from the woods to the mill, and the knowledge of how to do it all safely.  Most of that knowledge is to be found right here on this Forum, so stick around and do some reading. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

catluvr

Thanks for your feedback, Dan!  You've given me a lot to think about.  I will make sure that my husband and I really do our research and think through this decision thoroughly before buying any product. 

okie

I'm with DanG. Sawing is a lot of work, but I do'nt know of much that feels more rewarding.
If you do go with a mill, get one from a reputable company. You can get a low end mill from most of the better mfg's for probably less than the price of the lumber in your shed and deck project (depending on the size of those projects of course). Another thing to consider is that there is'nt always as much lumber in a log as a lot of folks would think, so if you're doing this just to utilize your own timber, make sure you got the timber to suit your needs.
If you do get a mill, I'd be willing to bet, you'll be a satisfied camper from the first board. :)
Good luck.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

DanG

Catluvr, why don't you add your location to your profile?  There may be a member nearby that could be of great help to you.  We've even had new members join the Forum just so they could help someone they saw here while lurking.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

gizmodust

Welcome Catluvr.  DanG's given about the best help possible.  Research your needs and options and then put the two together.  If you do end up with a mill, you'll be the sweatest, tiredest and happiest person around 8) :D.  Welcome and good luck.
Always liked wood with alot of character

John Bartley

I have a Champion Mill. It's the biggest one they make, but I looked at them all before I bought mine. Mine has been worth just what I paid for it and I wouldn't change my decision about buying it if I had to make the decision again based on the sames criteria. That says nothing bad about the other brands, just good things about my Champion.

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum,catluvr.Lots more than just sawing to do too.You say wooded land.You have to know how to cut the trees down,safely.Need something to get them out of the woods,safely. I take it your husband's friend knows something about Champion mills.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ErikC

It sounds like you want to take on the management of your woods anyway. If you do it will only improve them. So you might wind up with a lot of these tools anyway. Having a mill will make it more rewarding than just cutting everything into firewood. It takes quite a few acres or more to have any real amount that can be gradually improved and harvested without turning the place into a clearcut though. If you know anyone involved in forestry that could look at your woods that would be good info for you.
  Or you could post a few pictures and describe the place, so the foresters here could chip in. ;D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

TinMan

Welcome catluvr

Used mills are a good way to go. Like DanG said compare as many as you can, there are alot of great mills out there. Check out the links listed on the left of the screen.

woodmills1

all good info above

there is a lot of sweat and energy getting the logs to the mill and cleaning up after the cut, so as said take a good look at your support equipment

I bought a used mill in 1995 and am getting ready to buy an upgraded used mill as a replacement.

by all means visit one of us to get a better idea.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

bandmiller2

Welcome Catluver,I met the man that designed and built the Champion mill at the forestry show in Bangor Me. a couple of years ago.I was very impressed with his mill.Their is a show this may at Bass park in Bangor all the manuf. will be there many demos it will help and let you compare.As Dan asked where are you located?Frank C.

A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

york

ok,here i go again-i am not a fan of the "Champoin" sawmill-they run the "Band" on the drive belt-so,when ya break a band,what ya think could happen?

Albert

Cedarman

Our WM resaw has the blade run on the belt that also does the driving.  We have 22,000 hrs on that puppy.  I don't think blade breaking has ever caused a belt problem.  If you stall the blade, the drive pulley can ruin the belt.  So you would want to disengage immediately.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Chuck White

Cedarman;  Look at post #12, just above your post.
We're talking about 2 totally different drivebelts.
The Wood-Mizer drive belt just slips onto the blade wheels and the blade runs on them.
On the mill in this discussion, the drive belt runs from the shaft on the back of the motor out and under the band.

The blade can take out a belt real quick.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,19439.0/all.html
Scroll down through this thread to post 33 & 34, and see what once happened to Bibbyman and also ElectricAl.

edit: Cedarman, I overlooked the fact that you were referring to a resaw and not an actual mill.
I don't know exactly what the WM resaw looks like as to it's operation!
Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!