iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1978 mercury 200 20hp

Started by Solo33, November 19, 2015, 04:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo33

I am rebuilding the internal harness as it as pretty much isfalling a part. I am having trouble rebuilding it as the wire all the way down to the rubber plug is brittle. I was wondering if i could cut the plug open and rewire straight from the pins? Otherwise I have to spend 170 for a new wire harness. Any suggestions? Thanks
I know I was born and I know I will die, the in between is mine, I am mine

beenthere

Puzzled at first, but then dawned on me this might just be an outboard boat motor...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Solo33

Ha I left out that key piece but yes. It as an old outboard I was getting ready to winterize and noticed it could use a little TLC.

DanG

Well I knew right away that it was an outboard, but I'm unsure about just what rubber you're talking about.  If it is just passing through an opening of some kind, you could just yank it out, then reconstruct it with silicone later.  If it is going into the coil, just snip the wire leaving an inch or so attached.  Strip the insulation from that stub, slip a piece of shrink tubing over your new wire, then strip that one about the same as the stub.  Twist the two wires together and solder them.  Coat the joint with silicone then slide the shrink tubing down and heat it with the soldering iron.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Solo33

Thanks fellas. Good job for tomorrow after we get all this snow they are talking here in the midwest.

Thank You Sponsors!