iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

milling valley oak,san francisco

Started by treeworkx, March 26, 2010, 10:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treeworkx

morning all, cut_tree
got another tree that needs to come down due to new house,most of the trees can be retained but this valley oak(quercus lobata)is getting bowled,access is perfect,the developer is interested in having some wood for use in the new house(minus the few pieces for my shop)
beauty log,52"across at the base,first limb about 20'where the log is about 3' across.
have any of you fellas milled this oak before?should i let it air dry  or is it compatable with the kiln,the house will take a couple of years to build(12,000sqft)so it will get some time in the stack and maybe a little help at the end.
thanks for looking
happy friday

guitarguy

Hi - I have milled some Oregon White Oak, Quercus garryana,which I think is similar to Valley oak.It air dries well, but slowly.I would allow at least a year per inch thickness. A tough would to mill - as in dense.

cheers - Dave

ErikC

I have cut a few valley oak logs on the Peterson, they are dense. Seems like they cut fine though, and made some pretty nice boards. I would expect them to air dry very slowly, especially in the bay area climate. Watch out for mold and stain. ;)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!