iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Giving away the sawmill

Started by dad2nine, March 31, 2010, 12:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad2nine

Well this friday my Wood-Mizer gets hitched up for a long ride to southern IL. I'm giving it away to my father-in-law to help supplement his fixed income. While he was visiting us last summer he went out on two saw jobs with me. You never seen an old guy so happy as he was running the sawmill while I was tailing. With minimal instruction he took hold of the control box sawing like a fish takes to water.

Next he'll get the bobcat - I would take both but it's kind of hard to pull a sawmill and bobcat  with only one truck :)

Don't get me wrong I'll really miss the mill but at this point in time he needs it more than I do.

fishpharmer

If you are a dad to nine kids you probably don't have time to mill lumber :D

I nominate you for the "SON IN LAW OF THE YEAR AWARD".  That really is very nice of you.  Worst case scenario you get it back.  Best case, he says "hey, lets trade up to an LT70" :D 8) 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

kelLOGg

I second that nomination! That's unselfishly giving up a way of life for your family. They are lucky to have you.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

scsmith42

I'll third the nomination.  Jeff, I know that you will miss your mill a great deal.  Feel free to come on over to the farm if you ever need to get a "fix".

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

weisyboy

you are a brave man i dont think i could give my mill away. :o
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Chuck White

I couldn't give my mill away either.  no_no

There are select few that I would let use my mill though.  Reluctantly though.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

brdmkr

Wow, that is a great gift, and a great thing to do.  Encourage to him to join us here so we can keep up with his progress.  I know you will miss the mill, but I also know how good it feels to help someone and to give.  You'll be  blessed.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

sigidi

What Carl said... (geese Carl stop saying what I'm gonna say before I'm gonna say it) ;D

Definitely not able to give away my mill/s
Always willing to help - Allan

Two-Lady-Sawyers

Any woman would be poud to have you as a husband and partner in life. To give something away that surely means so much to you is not easy to do. You have given you Father-in-law something to do with his time that he appears to enjoy. He must hold a special place in your life. Bless you for your kindness.
Jillian & Jean
Politically incorrect (LH feed) Foley-Belsaw M14 W/mods, Ford Ranger 4cyl 4sp power plant, Oliver Super 88RC, 93 Ford F150 4x4, Echo CS530, Echo CS306, Half finished log arch

backwoods sawyer

I nominate you too.  8)

Now that will make for some grate family gatherings, and sharing of milling stories.
It would have to be a family member with a strong desire to mill for me to give up my mill and I would want visitation rights from time to time just to see her run. Makes me want to get a second mill, so this one will not be lonely.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

dad2nine

Quote from: fishpharmer on March 31, 2010, 12:49:35 AM
If you are a dad to nine kids you probably don't have time to mill lumber :D

I nominate you for the "SON IN LAW OF THE YEAR AWARD".  That really is very nice of you.  Worst case scenario you get it back.  Best case, he says "hey, lets trade up to an LT70" :D 8) 8)

Ha Ha - that's funny... I'm his only son-in-law and anyways I already got that award when I make him this gun cabinet for Christmas. All the lumber for the gun cabinet was cut on my wood mizer and Scott (scsmith42) kiln dried it for me.

I'm game for a LT70  :D

ljmathias

Beautiful cabinet, dad- what wood is that, red oak?  Grain like that sure stands out, doesn't it?

I love to see families working together, helping each other.  Got my two sons on the land we own (only 50 acres) and just finished a house for one and about to start one for the other.  Investing a lot of my time to get them houses built mortgage-free, but they've both paid their dues and could use some financial freedom to raise their kids.  Oh, and in case you haven't heard, grandkids are the best thing God ever invented, and I get to have them around all the time!  Just today was trimming up some trees with the pole saw, saw two of the grandsons playing on a small log pile (toys they have, so what's fun to play with?  Logs!), dropped the saw and went to play with them for a while.  Can't think of a better way to spend time now that I'm half retired (and no wise-a@@ comments please about half-a@@ sawyers).

Didn't mean to ramble (ok, maybe I did); just meant to congratulate you on having a FIL to spend time and money helping- in the end, family is all that matters in this life.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

dad2nine

Lj I would love to be in your shoes and I really wonder what it would be like to live on a true family farm... Grand kids, so far I have only 4 (three granddaughter and one grandson) with having raised nine kids I figure I should have at least 20 grandkids :) and... your right family is the most important thing on this earth.

Thank You Sponsors!