iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Click To Search Forum For Picture

Started by TexasTimbers, June 23, 2007, 02:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

This function does not work for me. It used to. Now when I click it, even when I know the picture is in a thread not just the gallery I get a "No Results Found".

What am I doing unright ???
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Furby

TexasTimbers

Looks like hit or miss far as I can tell. If the file ain't writ right then you are out of luck, unless I missed reading something in that link you gave.

I saw a picture in the archives this morning, by someone whom I did not recognize that I was sure must have been posted in the recent "Homebuilt Slabber"  thread. But it wasn't. So I clicked the Search deal and got that message about no results. I get that message on most images I try. Some work. many/most don't.

i sure wish I could find the pictures of that slabber bar adjustment I am talking about. I triued to sift through the image archive but can't figure that one out neither. Furby did you see that bar I am talking about? it was a great photo. Cannot remember who posted. i want to say the guys name was sam miller, but I typed that into the regular search engine and nada there either.  :-\

Tom

Kevjay,
The biggest problem with searching for a picture using the URL is generally because of a special character embedded in the file name.  Sometimes it's because the software that was used to store the file used an upper case JPG and the Forum software is looking for a lower case jpg.   

The Forum search has troubles when we don't use a descriptive name for which it can search.  There are a lot of pictures on the Galleries that use the photo name that the member's camera used, things like DCS202583.jpg.   It is especially frustrating to  search for "cute" topic names like "have you ever seen....."   or "help...." and then never use a word in the post that will come to a persons mind when he searches.

Still, the biggest failure is the use of special characters and upper case file names.

If you will try to describe the picture, I'll try to help you look.  Slabber and Slabber bar get quite a few hits including a 9 foot Lucas slabber bar post made by Ian

Furby

Didn't see the pic today.
Need some more info on the pic and like Tom, will see what I can find.
When you say the archives, do you mean the front door?

TexasTimbers

Thanks Tom. Nope not the front door Furb. What happened was, I went to the photo upload section (Image Archives) to upload a picture. Before I did, I noticed where someone had just upload several pictures of a slabber pretty much exactly like we have been discussing making lately, at least from what I could tell. It had close ups of how the tension adjustemnt was made and all. Simple and beautiful. Looks exactly like what we all need to see and grill this guy about. But after I uploaded my pictures and went back to find the thread he posted them in, I clicked one of the pictures and then clicked "click to search forum for picture". that's where I got the error message. I get them alot. What happens is when ever I upload a picture, I inevitably see one that I want to go to the thread and check it out. I get an error message frequently but never said nothing because it's usually just curiosity - but this is more than curiiosity I would really like to see these photos and tak to this guy.
I thought his name was miller or sam or sam miller for some reason and typed that into the regular search function but it must not have been sam miller. :-\
Anyhow, the mystery continues. Who was this feller ???

TexasTimbers

i just went to the Image Archives and clicked one of squirrel boys walnut crotch pictures he just uploaded and posted in the Braggin Board thread and it worked just fine. So I guess it is like y'all say, he titled his file correctly and alot of us don't.

Haytrader

Could it be possible that the pics you saw were put in this mystery mans gallery and then not used in a thread?
Haytrader

beenthere

That was stevensam. He posted his mill pics last night, and shows his new slabber.
You guys just gotta keep up... ;D

But it brings up the point that has been discussed before. Naming the pic is important, in that there can be no spaces (like no_spaces ) which used to be standard procedure for naming files (now the operating systems are not so fussy, maybe thanks to microsoft).

I try to remember that when naming the file when uploading pics. I also try to make a comment in the comment section that explains the pic. That helps me a lot when I run across an intersting photo in the random gallery, to have a bit of information along with the pic. At least the name of the member is on the gallery, and going to that members' name will allow looking at the previous posts of that member. A newly posted photo can then be seen, IF a post has been made.

Homebuilt slabber thread, see post #36
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

I don't think those are the pics Kevjay is talking about beenthere. :)

Another note that goes along with what you are saying, too many folks upload pics to their gallery and never post them. That's not what the gallery is for. The gallery is here for us to POST pics with.
Having said that, I have a couple that I've never posted as well, so I'm just as guilty. ::)

Furby

I retract the above statement about Stevensam's pics!
Those were indeed his pics, but he didn't post the ones Kevjay is talking about.
To see them, go to his gallery.Stevensam's gallery link

On another note..... again. ::)
To find those pics in the same situation Kevjay, go to the image archives.
On the left hand side click the button "last uploads".
You can then work your way backwards page by page from the most recent uploads. :)

TexasTimbers