iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dogs can be sly......

Started by Cypressstump, October 15, 2012, 08:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypressstump

As a dog owner, I naturally have a very soft spot in my heart for animals especially dogs that are injured or abandoned. Around where I live, we typically have plenty of both.
Yesterday while leaving the semi-rural local store I frequent, I noticed a dog laying on the shoulder of the road, on the grass between the ditch and highway, 4-5 feet from the blacktop. Her head was up and looking tentatively towards the store parking lot, with people moving about to and from their vehicles. Each time a person passed in the parking lot, she'd raise her head as if waiting for someone to see her and help.

Enough I thought,,,. I backed my truck between her and the road, blocking a bit of traffic lane, got out to see what I could do for her. With my truck blocking part of the road, I started to gather peoples' attention. As I approached the dog, she laid her head down in a submissive gesture, whimpering. I knelt down beside her, petted her a bit, and started to feel for broken bones or swelling. No collar, no tags of course. I couldn't find any tender spots that she was favoring. I'm thinking, that's a good sign.

A couple women came over asking what happened, poor doggie, seeing what I was going to do, anything they could do, etc., etc.,,, I'm thinking today is Sunday, I may have to take her home with me till Monday when my Vet opened. The poor dog slowly raised up when the women came over and started to smile and pant a bit but still whimpering as I felt all over her body for injury.
About that time, a man comes out of the store to his car at the gas pumps, opens the car door as he notices us, he gets a concerned look on his face, quickly comes over asks what's going on. I told him I thought the dog may have been hit but she doesn't seem hurt. He says' Hell, that dog ain't hurt,,, Angie !!!,,, git yore azz back in that car !!!".... The dog jumps the ditch runs 20-30 feet and jumps in the open car door then into the backseat, sticks her head out of the open back window looking at all of us at the roadside, all the time, her tongue hanging out.

Well, I'll be danged.... After much laughter and explaining to the man, He said he had commanded the dog to lay in the grass as she always does when he stops there for gas. As the women wiped their tears of once sadness to laughter, the guy thanked me for my concern, me standing there blocking traffic, the car w/ dog leaves and the dog's head out the window looking at me, tongue flapping in the wind,,, or at me, I don't know.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've seen people do this in our neighborhood. A car will pull in on our street, let a guy out, and he will sit in the grass with his head down.
Then one of our neighbors will stop by to ask if he needs help. Then the guy tells a story of his son having cancer and he needs money for health care. People give him money. A little later, the car shows back up, the guy gets off the shoulder of the road, jumps in the seat and down the road they go to the next neighborhood.

I'm like you Cypress, I have a soft spot in my heart for side ditch animals.....but a lots less for side ditch people.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Texas Ranger

I hate being had, particularly from a "dumb" animal, my dog is a master at gathering sympathy.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

:)  Nice story, and also a well trained Angie.   ;D   You ain't bad either.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

A very trained dog. I trained my dog to chase squirrels.  ::)  DanG and his hawk story and now Cypresstump with his dog story.  ;D What a pair.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

My dogs traine me.... enough said there  ::)    Nice reading, good story thanks.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Autocar

Good for you, your heart was in the right place  ;).
Bill

Cypressstump

How in the world did this post get in two sections, in general and outdoors?
Am I having a monday ? 
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

thecfarm

I thought it was me.  ::)  I posted in one of the threads and this one kept coming up that I had not posted in.   Now I understand,but don't know why it's in 2 diffearnt sections. Now I'm in both. Title is diffeant too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

clww

Good story (X2)!
Jeff will have the answer for this anomaly.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Cypressstump

welp, I guess operator error could have caused the double posting,the ol' fat finger issue. At the time of the posting I did change the title, after that is anybodys guess..
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

martyinmi

Thanks for that story-it made my day so far! :D
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Cypressstump

Thanks for squaring up the double post issue Jeff.

Stump
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

DanG

Good story, Stump!  I picked up one like that a couple of years ago, but it wasn't near anything like a store.  This one turned out to be very sick and didn't make it through the night.  I have no use for anyone who would toss the dog before it is even dead! >:(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!