iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re-Saw for 1st job, hourly or $/fbm???

Started by quadracutter222, December 08, 2018, 11:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quadracutter222

Hello all, hope December is going well!

I am looking at my first job with the new mill, sometime in January of next year.  I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to charge it out, here are the details:

- 150 1"x10"x10' red cedar
- mobile job away from home
- to be re-sawn from 8"x10"x10' cants or squared off logs
- will have an off-bearer

Any help or point in the right direction would be great!  Are there any resources out there to help new sawers come up with $/fbm or price per hour?

Cheers and thank you ;)

Tom the Sawyer

Gonna be a stretch to get 1 x10s from a 6x8 cant.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

quadracutter222

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on December 08, 2018, 11:22:07 PM
Gonna be a stretch to get 1 x10s from a 6x8 cant.
lol thanks.  Edited to 8"x10"x10'

Southside

You need to answer a few of your own questions first.  What is your hourly production typically?  What is your cost of operation per hour and per MBF?  How many miles do you need to drive to the job?  Are you paying and bringing the off bearer or is the customer supplying the labor?  What about your other expenses - insurance, maintenance, bands, etc?  Once you know your expenses then you can set a baseline for your rates that you need to make to break even, add in a profit and you have a starting point.  It does sound like a rather straight forward job so production should be higher than when sawing from logs and when needing to deal with edging.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ladylake

To be fair you should charge by the hour with squared up cants.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Nomad

I agree with Steve.  But some more questions.  Is this going to be your first mill, or are you an experienced sawyer?  Manual or hydraulic mill?  A new guy with a manual mill can't expect to command the same rates as an old hand running a hydraulic mill, for example.  
     Have these cants been previously used in some application?  If so there's a need to watch out for metal, and they could dull blades quickly due to dirt embedded in the surfaces.  Some of your boards will be culls too.  Those cants most likely are no longer square and straight.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WV Sawmiller

If everything is as described by the customer I calculate that as 1250 bf yield. I calculate I'd have to cut 1/4" off each cant to reach one of my marks for exact yield of finished 1" boards which is still less than I'd have to saw off a round log.

I'd advise the customer was responsible for the off bearing or use my higher rate if I had to off bear or provide such labor, I'd charge for mileage, I'd advise of blade damage fees if I hit metal, and I'd charge my bf rate. I would also be very pleased with such a job. You can always offer a discounted rate at the end of the job if everything went much better than expected and you had a really cooperative customer.

I advertise my old slabs for cheap firewood and such as $25 per truck or similar sized trailer load. Lots of times people show up with a small pick up and we load and I tell them $10 is fair and they are very happy to pay less than expected. You can always charge less but hard to ask for more.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 09, 2018, 10:17:18 AM
  If everything is as described by the customer I calculate that as 1250 bf yield. I calculate I'd have to cut 1/4" off each cant to reach one of my marks for exact yield of finished 1" boards which is still less than I'd have to saw off a round log.
@Mr. Green:
Could you please explain how you come up with 1250 bf yield.
I was never taught new math when I attended school and I can't see how you are getting that answer.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

ladylake

8.33 bf per board  x 150  = 1250. 

With squared up cant it should go really fast, getting paid by the bf is not fair to the customer. I just did a job like that where I was sawing over 600 bf per hour , if per bf that's $180 per hour, I'm not a lawyer, just run a $20000 mill.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

WV Sawmiller

Gerald,

Ladylake nailed it. 150 each 1" X 10" X 10' boards is what I understood the job was to be. 150 X 8.33 = 1250 bf total. Actually I made a spreadsheet on excel a long time ago with the formulas already built in so I just plugged in the sizes and quantities and let my laptop do the math in most cases when its handy.

Ladylake,

How can you say charging by the bf is not fair to the customer without first hearing my bf rate. ;D Actually my normal bf rate would not be much more than my minimum fee for a mobile job and if all went well I might discount it back the that.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

Thanks fellows.
I misread the post.
I read it as 150 cants to be resawn into 1x10's.
My error.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!