iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl oil cap MS361

Started by jbos333, August 23, 2015, 08:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbos333

Hi,

I tried searching this topic and found discussion on this topic but I would like to know if I can expect a replacement OEM cap to leak oil like the one on my saw or if it will fix the problem.

Also, I see some aftermarket ones for sale....anyone buy these? Are they better or equivalent to OEM?

I'm not clear on why these things start leaking in the first place.

Thanks!

clww

All I've used have been Stihl OEM replacement caps and they should not leak, especially if new.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

The flippy caps, right?
Should just be the O-ring. Never have had one leak, but can see where they could get some debris caught if not cleaned when re-filling, and closed with wood bits around the O-ring.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gearbox

On my 361 I can put the oil cap on 2 ways  but will not index right and leak one way . The way it leaks the snap down isn't in the notch . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

SawTroll

Quote from: Gearbox on August 23, 2015, 10:40:54 PM
On my 361 I can put the oil cap on 2 ways  but will not index right and leak one way . The way it leaks the snap down isn't in the notch . Gearbox

True enough - but it will leak when put on the right way as well, if the O-ring is damaged.
Information collector.

Icehouse

I have used both oem  or after market both fine, you can get a new o-ring from your Stihl dealer, I carry a couple with me.
Favorite Stihl ms361 ms064 Favorite Husky 242xp 262xp

gaproperty

One of my saws is a 260  Sthil.  The oil cap is ridiculous.  I am not sure how many times the cap looked on and the wiggle test past only to come off and pour all over my pants and the ground.  Here in a cold weather climate the two stage cap doesn't work. The lower section turns so you have to line that up so your gloves or hand gets oil on them.  Not safe or nice when using a power saw. Secondly, this cap collects so much dirt you could make a debris shelter with it. Way way to many places to collect dirt and to time consuming to clean.  If you don't clean it of course the oilers will have problems.  It never fails to amaze me how engineers can be so smart to make a great saw but yet can't make a oil cap.  Not to mention how did this get through the rigorous testing they proclaim to do.

There were times when my day was cut short because my pants were full of oil.  Not to impressed.  Personally I have Husqvarna and Johnsered and I think I will stick with them.  

Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

teakwood

Just take a minute and learn how they work, there is just one way they close or open. when you learn in what position they need to start tightening they work perfect.

If they leak just change the o ring
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

lxskllr

I like the flippy caps. Those, along with the side tensioner, and captive nuts were the notable features I appreciated going to Stihl from my PoulanPro.

mitchstockdale

the gas cap on my 361 started binding and wouldn't cam properly...replaced it with an OEM from the dealer and havent had a problem since.

Drew62

I wont say I dislike the flippy caps in themselves,apart from the fact they are pretty good at picking up crud as you lift them out of the already recessed oil fill area on most pro stihl saws.Ironically perhaps,the 170/180 cheapo saws from stihl seem to have the best plan-external threads on the tanks/a cap with a shaped exterior that allows them to be hand tightened or undone plenty tight enuff,or if you like to get medieval on your tightening you have the slot for wrenching tight.Everyones happy. :)
A slave to the machines.

Cruiser_79

Yesterday I had a similar problem with the cap of the petrol tank. It didn't close properly so I wanted to go to the shop for a new one. Shop was closed so just cleaned it very good with a compressor and break cleaner. After I soaked it in oil and now it works perfect again. I think there was dirt or old sawdust somewhere in the cap. 
When they are clean they are quite okay. The older 660 has the old fashioned cap and sometimes you definetely need a screw driver or something to open it. 

Air Lad

I bough a second hand Stihl with no oil in tank
Put oil in...It came back out fill plug
Went to Stihl man 
$13 Aus whole new gadget
No leak now
But since then have found out you can get the O rings 
That's all it needs
Cheap as chips
Cheers

realzed

Before I bought Stihl saws I worked at a small mining exploration outfit for a few years and as part of my duties often had to quickly make small repairs to our cache of saws which were mostly Stihl models which varied in year and by models.
We had crews of guys doing all season line cutting, drill site preparation, trail / road clearing and building exercises, and much of the equipment got badly hammered and borderline abuse was quite the norm in day to day operations!
The majority of the saws all had the older regular style screw on caps for oil and fuel - and often many leaked badly all over the place when stored, often because the slots in the caps themselves were so badly mangled from the variety and types of things that were used often to tighten or loosen them like the edges of sharp axes, rock picks, or crow bars, that it prevented that happening properly.
I found then though (as I do still now, with even my own newer models with flip caps) that cleanliness was paramount to making either of these types of caps seal and that both could equally be leakers when left to the devices of the ham-fisted operators we had, to insure that the amount of wood chips and saw dust was left around or in the caps and seals when refueling or adding oil, and that a bit of time spent insuring that the crap was eliminated went a long way to preventing most if not all of the leakage.
Most of the saws were beaten relentlessly and to my surprise very few had terminal issues - instead the majority of problems over the years were mainly broken pull cords and springs, chain and bar abuse, and throttle linkage issues - all compounded by a general lack of good overall common sense and again cleanliness, as I mentioned..
This experience moved me to the point where, when I finally decided to buy my own equipment instead of borrowing used and beaten up older stuff, getting Stihl saws was without any question my best option based on what I had seen  personally.
The new Flip caps in the past decade or more, being just another of the main reasons I considered Stihl to be my logical choice of where to spend my own money when it came down to it..
Use them (caps or saws) like they are intended and you will have few if any issues!    

MNBobcat

Do some googling.  The flippy caps have a recall on them.  You might get a new one for free.

Thank You Sponsors!