iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

really interesting ebay item...

Started by asy, March 15, 2006, 05:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asy

I was absolutely fascinated by this item: ebay walnut thingy

I'm  not for a minute suggesting anyone actually buys it! Nor am I affiliated with it!!

But it's just fascinating.

Is it a section of the nut???

What do you all think?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Todd

I think its alot of time and effort for...somthing wierd ::)
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

jerry-m

Yeah Asy, Its kinda unquie, but look at the shipping cost to the USA ($40.00)..  Not me, Before I bid on anything on E-Bay I always check the shipping cost ::)
Jerry

asy

Whoa there trigger!

I wasn't suggesting ANYONE would buy the thing. I know I wouldn't.

I just thought the technique was fascinating.

I think these shapes look magnificent, for example, in darren's magic furniture, if he used them as an inlay...  I can imagine a walnut timber table with a line of these set in an inch from the edge, then filled with resin, so they are flush with the top of the table...  What a fantastic design feature...

Daren

I saw this post and wasn't going to chime in, but my name was mentioned. asy, you must be a mind reader. I don't have any walnuts laying around, but it did cut a couple pecan cross sections on the wood shop bandsaw just to see what it looked like. I haven't come up with any furniture ideas, other than stringing them together for a decorative windchime (wouldn't really make any noise, and would break in the wind) or maybe an ugly necklace. I left a piece of it on the window sill by the workbench, just in case I get an idea later.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Todd

I agree...as part of somthing larger they would make an interesting inlay or design feature...someone do that...I'm not getting my fingers that close to my 36"bandsaw to slab walnuts :o
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Sprucegum

I know a fellow who slices pine cones, the green tight ones, and makes earings and necklaces, buttons, etc.

How he does it seems to be a closely guarded secret  ::)

johncinquo

My aunt has been cutting those nuts for years and she makes them into earings.  Theres an angle you can do and if it is just right, they come out looking like a skull.  Theyre a big seller with the goth and black-is-cool crowd.  She sells them at her arts-n-crap shows all over the US. 

I prefer the humminbirds she makes.  You take a pice of cedar about 1/2 thick by 4 x 3 and soak it in water.  Then carefully slice it with an exacto knife and fold the layers back and forth, and then connect them to make wings, then you carve the rest into a bird.  Its really nice when you see its out of a soid piece of wood.

Just a note on ebay pricing, and I'll quit hijacking your thread...  You pay a final value fee to ebay, based on the final price.  To avoid that, people are cranking up the shipping prices and starting their items at a lower price.  You just have to do the math to figure out what your really going to pay.   
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Tom

Well that's gotta be better'n using Quail Poop.

I've seen nut shells, sliced thinly, used for dangly jewelry before.  I've seen coconut shell used for knife handles and carvings too.  Mango seeds, with the strings left attached, make pretty good cartoon faces.  We used to make them when we were kids by grooming the strings in a pattern as we ate the mango.  We never thought of it from a commercial standpoint though.

asy

Well, there ya go...

I thought it was so unique! hehe

John, don't get me started on Postage Pirates, they are the bain of ebay. I think ebay should bring in a limit to how much postage can be charged. Just visit the ebay forums to see what the serious ebayers think of this practice.

Daren, don't forget to show us if you make something out of these nuts. I think a holder could be made to make sure yer fingies are safe from the band mill...

rebocardo

Something like that being hand made actually might be worth more then what you paid in 30 years. I rather like the unique things, even if they are "coarse" compared to say, a plastic bowl. I did not know what to think of it, probably looks much better in person.

Thank You Sponsors!