iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scroll saw technique

Started by hackberry jake, July 31, 2012, 09:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I'm I the only one who can't make accurate cuts with a scroll saw? I think I could do it more accurately with an axe or a chainsaw or dynamite. Is there a trick to it? Just practice?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

MHineman

Don't the guys on TV make it looks easy.  I watched a show yesterday where he took an old Western Red Cedar timber about 8 x 8 and saw a curve the length of it on a band saw.  It looked perfect the first time and he did it free hand.

I don't do a lot of scroll saw work either and when I do I need too sand a lot to get it looking good. 
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Todd

I don't know about a scrollsaw, but on my bandsaw it's usually really easy...until i get off-line and then its Never comming back! :D
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

hackberry jake

The scroll saw is at least 10 times worse.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tree Feller

The hardest thing to do with a scroll saw is saw a straight line. I do pretty good on the curves, just slow the feed rate. Good blades are necessary, too. I use the Flying Dutchman blades that I get from Mike's.  http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

hackberry jake

I don't own a scroll saw, but have used a few of the cheaper varieties. I don't think I want one.

beenthere

QuoteI don't own a scroll saw, but have used a few of the cheaper varieties. I don't think I want one

What are the "cheaper" varieties?  Not sure we are talking about the same beast here. ;)

The better scroll saws are quite smooth, compared to some of the vibrating kind...but the last I used one of those was in Cub Scouts in the early 50's  late 40's  ::)

Just the noise was enough to drive one nuts, but it was better than a hand coping saw. I think it was referred to as a jig saw, but the names seem to drift around a bit.

For certain detail work, you can't beat them. Good blades and careful positioning of the work piece leads to good work.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jueston

i found one at a garage sale and was very excited to get it for $40 from an old woodworker selling off the tools he didn't use anymore, it then sat in my garage for 6 months before the first time i used it, and i found just like others have said, once you drift off the line a little, its nearly impossible to get back on it.

metalspinner

The key to staying on the line is to not try to stay on the line. Yes you heard me right. ;)

It's just like beginner drivers.  They oversteer which leads them all over the road. They drive to slow which takes too much time to correct. If they think they made a mistake, they over correct which makes things worse.

Matching the cut rate with your feed rate and pressure is the key.  Of course the proper blade set to the right tension are critical, too.

Are you using more pressure from one hand which bows the blade and takes you off course?

The scroll saw blade tracks just like the bandsaw - not straight. To cut a straight line, the wood should travel at some angle from zero degrees. The blade will determine that. Irregularities like burrs along the back and teeth caused from the manufacturing process are to blame for that.

All that being said, if you are using an old clunker, chances are you will get frustrated. I have a Dewalt scroll saw and the few times a year I use it it works great. It has variable speed, the tension can quickly be adjusted, and blade changing is fast and easy. There is a good used market for these because they are not used very often so people sell them.  You should be able to find one reasonably priced. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Lud

I found that setting the hold down pressure on the wood very important .  If the wood gets to jumping, you're cooked for holding it on line.  And pretty tight on the blade tension too.  And practice on some cutoffs of the same wood variety before you cut into the good piece will help.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Don_Papenburg

If you are off line back up and slowly move back in letting the blade cut to the line .  Overrunning the gullets ability to empty the sawdust will cause problems.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

EZland

Jake,
The Delta scroll saw is pretty good.  It is a parallel link style.  Whic means it nearly cuts straight up and down and a lot smotther than cheaper ones cut in a "C' motion.    With a scroll saw the right blade matters also.  clamp style are better, compared the pin style.  The right pressure is important when cutting also or you get "blade surge".  I use to have one in my kitchen apartment.  Loved the fact it was only tool I did not have to go out in the cold shop for.   

The thing with a scroll saw you can do some of the stuff a band saw can, but not everything.  A band saw can do some of the stuff a sroll saw can, but not everything.  the big difference is you can remove the blade and reinstall it for inside cuts.   
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

Thank You Sponsors!