iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Courtesy on the road

Started by sawguy21, August 09, 2016, 04:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

We were late for an important appointment this morning. Traffic on our very busy two lane highway was backed up because of a super B attempting a left turn off a side road, he had the north bound lane blocked with the tractor but no south bound vehicle would stop to let him in. As soon as a break appeared a north bound vehicle cut around him. ::) Finally a south bound semi stopped, he pulled out and everything got moving again.
What is wrong with people? Is time so important that they can't spare one minute out of their day to show a little consideration?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chuck White

Really does seem that way, especially on the road.  Most people seem to be in an awful hurry to get nowhere!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sprucebunny

Lots of drivers around here can't read speed limit signs. People will pass me on a double yellow line when I'm going 10% over the speed limit and then I see them turning into Waamart ::)

Then there are those that can't go over 40 in a 50mph section; downhill. They are messing up my gas mileage  :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

tree-farmer

Barely missed being clipped on our shared private gravel road while grading it. Was spreading a bucket full of gravel when a car approached, l motioned for them to stop and let me move, but to no avail. Jammed on past, missing my bucket by inches. I had a few choice words for them as they went by. I do not get paid for the work I do on the road, would be nice if I could at least avoid being run over.  >:(
Was mad as a boiled owl.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

thecfarm

Had road construction going by the store last year,There are 3 entrances,there is a resturant next door too. Do you think people have enough smarts to leave an opening so people can get through?  ::)  I came back from lunch,and since it's only 1 lane of tracffic,I did not want to hold up more cars,I had to go by the store and turn around and come back the other way. This is an on going construction,and going on just up the road and the still block off the credit union and there is a another road and they block that off too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

I'm not going to criticize anyone for a change.

Ever notice though when you leave in plenty of time all the lights are green, traffic is moving steady and no road work but if you wait till the last minute to leave every light will be red, you'll get behind an old man with a hat on who won't run over 25 mph or get behind a funeral possession and all the road work that went unattended the rest of the year will be on-going at that moment. Murphy's Law again.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Sixacresand

I got hung up on a two lane with trailer in tow.  A truck was sitting on shoulder of the road with a blown tire which knocked a hole in its fuel tank.  LED would not let either lane pass until a haz mat crew and equipment came and cleaned everything up.  Over three hours I waited.   Could not back up or turn around with the trailer due to long line of waiting vehicles.   LED do not take into consideration people with active bladders.  I had to visit a tree in somebody's front yard twice.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Woodhauler

Try hauling wood every day!!! I could write a book about all the idiots I see each day! ;D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

drobertson

Not knocking your important appointment, but an old tool room buddy use to say "lack of planning on your part does not make an emergency on mine" we tasted this one today on 137 heading north, albeit to a trfout park! Farmers have got to get it done too! Nice drive at 40 mph!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

kensfarm

Quote from: tree-farmer on August 09, 2016, 06:30:20 PM
Barely missed being clipped on our shared private gravel road while grading it. Was spreading a bucket full of gravel when a car approached, l motioned for them to stop and let me move, but to no avail. Jammed on past, missing my bucket by inches. I had a few choice words for them as they went by. I do not get paid for the work I do on the road, would be nice if I could at least avoid being run over.  >:(
Was mad as a boiled owl.

I think you've made the road too nice.  I would be inclined to make some speed bumps..  why get yourself upset.

rjwoelk

Yup courtesy is long gone. I was going to town today a car past me on the 4 lane cut in leaving about a 3 second space, thats ok, then the guy behind him pulls in between him and me. It was a dad and mom with 2 youngins, then to make matters worse puts on the brake and slow up, had switched lanes soon as he cut me off. Not sure which cracker jack box they got their permits to drive from but what a bunch of nut cases. The whole time I followed them he tailgated the other driver and kept putting his brakes on.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Roger2561

My younger brother used to drive a cement truck for our local cement delivery company until the day when he was on his way with a load and driver pulled out in front of him.  The car had 2 children in the back.  My brother purposely drove the truck off the road to avoid hitting them.  Thankfully, it was a field he drove into not a bunch trees.  As soon as he had the truck on the road again and finished his delivery, he drove back to the yard, turned in his keys and quit the job.   My brother was physically ill from that near miss experience.  He realized that he could have easily wiped out an entire family and he being the father of 3, well, he decided to turn his keys and not be put in that situation again.  For a parent to put his family at risk due to being impatient, careless, didn't want to be behind a slow truck, etc... is mind-boggling.     Roger
Roger

WV Sawmiller

Between overseas assignments once I took a job as an over the road trucker. Schneider put me through their school and training program and I drove all over the USA and Canada. I met some real nice people out there and some jerks. What it did do was make me better at backing a trailer and more important gave me a better appreciation for what those guys do and the problems they encounter. If I'm pulling up to an intersection and see a trucker coming from the side I'll stop well short of the intersection to give him more room to make his turn. I will also back off and let  him in the lane if his having trouble shifting where the road narrows or a slower truck ahead on the hills (very common around here). We all want our supplies and goods and most come at least part way by truck so let's help them help us.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Autocar

Times two what Woodhauler said, I would like to take there cell phones and put them where the sun dosen't shine !
Bill

rjwoelk

Timrs three I drive all over north america some days it is just wow if it was not for the proavtive drivers there would be a lot more accidents.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

starmac

You ever tried hauling logs when all the dog teams are practicing, it seems like log roads are easier going than their dog sled trails. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

timberlinetree

It's not just on the roads. Ice storm of 98 was working at the university of Vermont on storm duty. Charlie was held up with the other crew so I went ahead to the next tree, a maple with a busted top. Set the cones up, and went up to start working. The kids just kept walking through the cones! I made a notch and waited for this one kid to stroll threw, then let it rip. Crashed right behind him. He looked,took a sip of coffee, and kept walking like it was nothing! :-\ I had to build a brush barrier to keep them out so I could finish the tree.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Kbeitz

After going to Dominican Republic I don't complain about our traffic
back here in the states. It's New York city traffic times 10.
No consideration for other people what so ever over there.
It's for each his own. White knuckle driveing.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

LittleJohn

Quote from: Autocar on August 10, 2016, 07:24:47 PMTimes two what Woodhauler said, I would like to take there cell phones and put them where the sun dosen't shine !
smiley_clapping

I have never drive heavy equipment on the road (only a skidder in the woods), but the other day on my way home I see an oversized load (think it was a crane) on the main road ahead of me, then I see the forward support truck turn on to the road I was on, at which point I realize this monster is trying to turn and will right in his way if I pull all the way up to the stop sign.  I stop a good 100' short of the sign, the driver with the monster load swings SUPER wide makes the turn gives a smile and wave and all is good; forgot to mention the do-da behind me can't figure out what I am doing stopping short of the intersection and honks his horn at me  ::), before the big truck had passed

r.man

It seems like a high percentage of the driving population is in a hurry, not sure why, short of patience, not sure why, and short of sense when it comes to traffic flow, speeds and generally getting along when in a vehicle. I have often thought I would like to teach a courtesy course for drivers, since they are not picking it up on their own, which would include not blocking cross streets to turning drivers, making allowances for long loads, wide loads and general flow problems and timing your movements to get in sync with lights and the flow patterns around you. Driving is like many things, easy to do, harder to do well.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

DDW_OR

was on I-94 at night in North Dakota this week. Officer had a car pulled over in the construction zone for driving too fast. i have no problem with that, but he had his rear STROBE lights on. that and oncoming traffic made it almost impossible to "thread the needle" with out crashing into the on coming traffic or the police car.
"let the machines do the work"

muggs

Coming back from the woodworking show in Las Vegas going south on the I 15. I am in the left lane with cruse control on overtaking a simi truck in the right lane. I see in the mirror a car coming up real fast in the right hand lane. The gap between me and the truck is closing. He shot through the gap at about a 45 degree angle. I was in a perfect position to do a pit maneuver like you see on TV. I resisted because you never know how an accident is going to turn out. But man I was tempted.    Muggs :o

Chuck White

Quote from: DDW_OR on August 11, 2016, 04:41:42 PM
was on I-94 at night in North Dakota this week. Officer had a car pulled over in the construction zone for driving too fast. i have no problem with that, but he had his rear STROBE lights on. that and oncoming traffic made it almost impossible to "thread the needle" with out crashing into the on coming traffic or the police car.

I can agree with this, once they have the car pulled over, they really should tone down all the lights they have on L.E. cars these days!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

timberlinetree

Quite a few times I have avoided an accident, but for a second I think" should of let him hit me".

We drive with headlights on at all times. I think it helps since not to long ago I was driving down a windy country road when I see this guy in my lane racing to his mail box( I thought) only to go wizing by it right towards me. I got ready for impact and could not believe the size of his eyes as he swerved into the other lane,off the road, back on the road, and away he went. Still think the headlights saved this old man. Drive/stay safe out there!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

thecfarm

I too have the headlights on all the time.
I just wish that all the ones behind that horn in a car,would remember the last time they made a mistake driving.  ::)  We all do it,we don't mean too,but it happens. Blind spots happens too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!