iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first coped doors

Started by 21incher, March 05, 2016, 06:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I bought a stile and rail router bit set years ago on clearance and I finally got up the nerve to use it. Turned out it was easy to use and basically foolproof. I made my first 2 doors with it for my latest hidden magazine rack project.

I was happy with the results and now feel like I am ready to build some larger doors next. Here is a link to a long boring video if anyone would like to see the build process that I used.
https://youtu.be/97EP_-7xETo
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tule peak timber

I watched the video without sound. Well done.  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

coalsmok

Nice project. I like the contrast between the spalted maple and walnut.

21incher

Quote from: tule peak timber on March 05, 2016, 06:47:42 PM
I watched the video without sound. Well done.  Rob
Thanks rob. It was only me babling on so you didn't miss much. I can only imagine how many doors you have made like this. Ed

Quote from: coalsmok on March 05, 2016, 08:58:34 PM
Nice project. I like the contrast between the spalted maple and walnut.
Thanks. I like to mix up different types of wood in most of my projects. The way I see it is both of those trees were side by side in the woods for many years so I would try to keep them together in my projects.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Dave H.

OffGrid973

Love the video and great job.  I picked up my cabinet bits after a class at Peter's Valley in New Jersey but never used them yet.  Needless to say I am excited to find some contrasting wood in the pile to go with walnut rails and try to mimic your creation.

Thank you for the push to get started, keep up the good work !
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

21incher

Quote from: cwimer973 on March 06, 2016, 01:43:04 PM
Love the video and great job.  I picked up my cabinet bits after a class at Peter's Valley in New Jersey but never used them yet.  Needless to say I am excited to find some contrasting wood in the pile to go with walnut rails and try to mimic your creation.

Thank you for the push to get started, keep up the good work !

Thanks. I had my set for almost 10 years and always felt they were going to be tough to use. Turned out as long as the height is set properly they are basically foolproof. Making a good square pusher block with the profile in it for the narrow stiles and end cuts was the toughest part. Walnut is a good wood to start with and I hope you post how your project works out. I am currently finishing up the second part video of making the cabinet for the doors which are a swing out magazine rack and cabinet with shelves that should be posted on youtube soon. I will add it here also if you are interested. :)

Larry

I like it.  Your choice of woods really complement each other.

I watched your video and do about the same.  I leave my outside stiles 1/2" - 1" long and trim to size after gluing.  One less thing to go wrong.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

21incher

Quote from: Larry on March 06, 2016, 08:34:01 PM
I like it.  Your choice of woods really complement each other.

I watched your video and do about the same.  I leave my outside stiles 1/2" - 1" long and trim to size after gluing.  One less thing to go wrong.

Thanks Larry. I only left 1/16" so I could sand it off, but next time I will take your advice and make my life easier.

Here is a link to the rest of the cabinet build that I just finished.
https://youtu.be/mGDZcT9kRjQ

jdtuttle

Nice job,
I see more rails & stiles in your future!
Have a great day

WDH

Those door making bits are nice.  Good job.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!