iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

weights of green lumbers per/k

Started by jaciausa, October 14, 2015, 07:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaciausa

Hello, trying to find chart or information on the weights of green lumber per k bdft. The Oaks, ERC, Walnut, Hickory and any of the pines etc. Is there a site or reference that has this? Thanks for any help.

warren46

Take a look at the toolbox at the bottom of the column on the left side of the screen on this forum.  There is an easy to use calculator there.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

beenthere

jaciausa

Warren has a good answer for your question. If you don't find what you are looking for, give a shout back.

Also, for board measure we use MBF to represent 1000 board feet. (i.e. not k )

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jaciausa

Thanks, I found the charts and what I needed. I am going to build a small kiln and I need a way to load with a jib crane possibly. I have a jib rated for a ton which appears to be to small.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jaciausa

I believe the smallest -new type Nyle L53 for a start. I have been studying all the builds and advice others are giving and believe I can use part of a 53 foot trailer I have that was a reefer unit with 2 side doors. It is backed up to ground level. There is really a lot of items to consider about kilns and the size needed loading and unloading. Building a kiln out of green lumber is the other option I considered.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

1 MBF of freshly sawn red oak can weigh around 6000 pounds.  When air dried, however, it will weigh closer to 4500.  Most other species are lower in weight.  if you need a precise estimate, see the following publication that includes the effects of moisture species, actual thickness, width, etc.
http://forest.wisc.edu/sites/default/files/pdfs/publications/69.PDF
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

jaciausa

Hello Gene, That is precise! Very good information that I hope I will need soon. I am tring to figure bundle sizes I can handle green,but knowing the board feet wet and board feet and weights dry will be needed just as soon as its dry. I am limited with my equipment and the width of the trailer I plan on using with the Nyle Equipment. Thanks for the help.

Thank You Sponsors!