iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need some outside-the-box help on a DIY gantry crane

Started by metroplexchl, February 13, 2018, 10:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metroplexchl

So I'm building a post and beam workshop. The beams are too heavy to constantly lift anymore for my old butt, so I'm building a gantry crane out of a couple 6"x6" posts and the top gantry beam will be a ten foot long 4" steel pipe that I have in my scrap pile.  The beams I'm lifting are around 200lbs, so not too much weight.

But I'm trying to find a sort of I-beam trolley that can run along the pipe horizontally so that I can move the heavy beam into position once I raise it with my chain hoist. Sort of like like the one in the link below but I can't find one that runs along a round pipe.

Anyone have any ideas that I can build or buy? I'm open to anything!

Amazon.com: Jervis Webb Beam Trolley With Side Guide Rollers. Industrial Grade 500 Pound Capacity. Conveyor Trolley For I-Beams.: Home Improvement

Stuart Caruk

Google Round Pipe Trolley... loads of options. Like a wide beam trolley that's longer and been overloaded...
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

sprucebunny

First thing that came to mind... the rollers that a boat trailer has. Hard rubber, often with a metal insert in the center.

They come different sizes and shapes.You'd probably want a bow roller.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Wudman

Backyard engineering is one of my specialties.....how about the front wheel off a lawnmower?

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Hilltop366

I have seen a light duty overhead trolly made from sliding barn door track and a couple of door hangers connected to a short beam to spread the load.

Holmes

Look up" The Stump Ranch "on this site .  He did a lot of lifting with pulleys, logs, gin poles.
Think like a farmer.

metroplexchl

Quote from: Wudman on February 14, 2018, 12:02:18 PM
Backyard engineering is one of my specialties.....how about the front wheel off a lawnmower?

Wudman

I thought about that or a good couple of casters I have laying around, but how would I use them to make a pipe trolley?

metroplexchl

Quote from: Stuart Caruk on February 14, 2018, 01:35:13 AM
Google Round Pipe Trolley... loads of options. Like a wide beam trolley that's longer and been overloaded...

I'm not having much luck with the search actually....I've searched round pipe trolley and overhead pipe trolley, and not really coming up with much other than small rollers that look like they're for shower curtains or small light weight things.

Any thoughts?

Stuart Caruk

Look for something like this...

Pipe Trolleys

tyr google images, lots of good ideas. Pretty simple device to make with a welder and a torch.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Wudman

Quote from: metroplexchl on February 17, 2018, 10:50:32 PM
Quote from: Wudman on February 14, 2018, 12:02:18 PM

Wudman

I thought about that or a good couple of casters I have laying around, but how would I use them to make a pipe trolley?
Stick an axle through the wheel.  Let the wheel itself run on top of your pipe.  Either put a bracket or loop of chain from each end of the axle and lift from that.  It should be able to handle a couple hundred pounds without any problem.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

metroplexchl

I also thought about getting a hay barn beam trolley and using that on a pipe or 4"x4" beam. i wonder, though, if it could handle 200-300 lbs? Like the one pictured Hay barn beam trolley.

mike_belben

A pair of harbor freight wheelbarrow rims with no tire.  Then a doubled up plywood triangle sandwich to mount the clevis.  Or steel if you got it.  Threaded rod be cheapest clamping hardware. Just be careful.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!