iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl Trimmer Attachments Question

Started by JW IN VA, June 04, 2018, 06:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW IN VA

When cutting tall and fully mature grass and weeds would the Brush Knife which has tree individual blades or the eight sided grass blade be best?
 Some of the cutting will be heavy grass under fences and some will be stemmy weeds.

btulloh

I use the Stihl FS90 with various heads.  I'm not sure which ones you're talking about exactly (I guess I don't go by the Stihl terms) but I give you my $.02 on a couple things.  I think you should try both of those and see how they do in your situation.  I use the head with the three plastic knifes a lot (is that the brush knife?) and it works well.  It's not the best for woody mature stems, but it will get through them.  Works great on tall grass, broom straw, honeysuckle and things like that.  It will bounce off a fence post, but it's better not to ask it too.  Hard on the blades and the post.  Generally unpleasant, but not a big deal if you catch a little post now and then.  One good thing about the three-bladed head is it doesn't tend to grab and pull you into the trouble.

I haven't used the 8 sided grass blade, but I probably should get one.  Does it require using the chest rig?  It may not be good on fence posts or rocks, which always seem to get in my way.  

Sometimes I use a head (not a Stihl version) that has heavy poly attachments that are very much like line except they're a lot heavier.  They attach to eyes in the head and swivel like the poly blades but with more freedom of movement.  This works well on thing like broom straw in the dormant stage, which can be pretty tough.

I usually put something along fences to keep the growth down so I don't need the trimmer.  When I don't, I find myself with the same issues you're facing.  

There'll probably will be some more people chiming in on this shortly.   Good luck, and stay safe.
HM126

JW IN VA

The brush knife is a three pronged blade with all mtal.It can be turned over and used both edges until you can sharpen it.The grass blade is like a very coarse saw blade.

maple flats

In my blueberries for clearing grass, weeds and saplings up to maybe 1" I have used a Stihl Adjustable power scythe. I used that for 3-4 years (4.5 acres to try to maintain close to the bushes and did not want to use poisons). It worked well but with 4500 bushes to trim around was very time consuming. That would cut like a hedge trimmer but near ground level.
Then I bought a tractor mounted Weed Badger, it ran off the PTO and a joy stick control which moved the turning mower head (or a vertically turning cultivator head) in and out about 12".
You can look at that power scythe, they work well. After using mine for a week or so, I ordered a second one and my then teen age grandson ran that.
Years ago I had a trimmer with both a saw blade and one of the 3 pointed blades, they just did not do as well and the danger of injury was always there. The Scythe is faster, easier to use and far safer.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!