iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Braden winch adjustment?

Started by logman81, June 14, 2018, 09:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

So as some of you know i bought c4b tree farmer skidder. It has the braden mechanical winch and it hasnt been working to the capacity that it should meaning it isnt winching as hard as it should and slips on a decant pull. I would like to know if their is a way to adjust it to put more pressure on it to winch better and hold to hitch.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Neilo

So it's the one with the long lever to engage? Some have hydraulic clutch. All you can do is clean the clutch bands and adjust the linkage. I don't think the Braden clutch bands are available, but you could try aftermarket parts.

logman81

This is the winch. I think it just needs to be adjusted to put more pressure on the plate but i dont know how.

bushmechanic

logman81 you adjust the clamping pressure by turning that hub that the lock pin is into( lock pin is the one your punch is pointing too). Your best bet is too remove all the outside items and free up that adjuster so you can take all the discs out and clean them up. once that adjuster unscrews then that large plate comes off exposing the discs. I pulled out that lock pin and held it out with a pair of vice grips then turned the adjuster, if you have to tap it to turn it don't hit on the arms where the forks attach they are very brittle! I suspect that it may need some heat to free it up and use plenty of anti-seeze when you put it back. I have one old winch here that someone welded a shim to the outside ring to take up the slack for worn discs.

logman81

Ok yeah maybe ill try that. Last time i tried to get it apart i couldn't get that collar to budge. I only have a small propain torch for heat but maybe it will be enough.

logman81

Im thinking if i cant get it off with a propane torch i might invest it one of those induction heaters, probably a good investment anyway.

logman81

Well no luck with the propane torch and a large hammer! Its really stuck on there! Going to have a weldor friend come and heat it with a real torch and see if it will free up.

logman81

Do you think it will be safe to heat the adjusting collar with a torch?

bushmechanic

Well the best way to look at it is....it's not working right now! What I would do is heat it up to a cherry red and then take a garden hose a cool it off quick. After that you will be able to turn it by hand. The absolute worst is you may have to make a new one at the machine shop. You have to get it working! Now another option would be to take off the arms of the snap clutch and build them up with welding and then when you snap your clutch it will apply more pressure to the clutches. I wouldn't go that route because it's only a quick fix and down the road you'll be back in the same boat, better to fix the adjuster.

logman81

Ok that is what i will try doing i would rather fix it right the first time.

logman81

Anyone know where i could get parts for this winch? Mine is leaking out the pto seal.

logman81

Am i the only one with a braden winch?

bushmechanic

Logman81 I don't think your the only one that has one but they are pretty rare nowadays, and of course obsolete! Braden was bought out by Paccar I think, if I'm mistaking then I bet someone will correct me! Check those guy's and they might be able to help you out.

Satamax

Quote from: logman81 on June 15, 2018, 10:42:02 AM
This is the winch. I think it just needs to be adjusted to put more pressure on the plate but i dont know how.

Logman, i thought about saying this. You could add some pressure by lengthening the little pieces of flat metal that we see in pairs. 
For your seal leaking. I have a problem like this lately on my toyota. So i am may be not the man to ask for. But if you take the oil seal out and replace it. That should do the trick. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

logman81

Well got bad news we tried heating up the adjusting collar and we did get it to move but unfortunately it split. So im hoping someone can find one to replace it.

bushmechanic

That's too bad that had to happen :( well at least you will get it working right now! If you can't find one you will have to find a good machinist to make one for you. Another idea is you could get it welded with a rod compatable with cast iron or steel whatever it is.

logman81

Yeah im hoping to find the parts or i may just sell the machine. I like the size of the skidder and all i wish it was diesel and had a different winch.

logman81

So called davco and the guy i talked to said that they could find the parts just will take a little time. He was very knowledgeable and offered alot of advice on my situation, very helpful.

logman81

Looks like davco has found most of the parts needed to fix the winch so far.

logman81

No luck with parts so skidder is coming home for new center pins and bushings and possibly a model 9 winch replacement for the braden junk!

logman81

Whats the line pull on a gearmatic 9?

logman81

Still looking for Braden winch parts of anyone knows of some. Also found out early tj 200 had same winch so parts from them would work too.

Maine logger88

have You tried Harrolds logging or Nash equipment? If you were going to swap winches I personally wouldn't go with a 9 they are a weak winch. A few people around here with c4s swapped to a 440a winch only downfall is you can't release the winch with the clutch pushed but that's easy enough to get used to.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

logman81

Yes I tried Harold's and Davco no luck.

logman81

Honestly I'm just trying to fix the one on it rather than get into a swap. I just want to get it working so I can put it up forsale.

Thank You Sponsors!