iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Live edge walnut shelves

Started by Downstream, September 03, 2018, 11:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

I have been back in the woodshop again this week.  Had these three walnut crotch slices sitting on the shelf for awhile waiting for some inspiration to hit me.  Good thing that I now am a wood hoarder because I dug out some drop pieces of QS oak for the support parts and put together a set of shelves or small end table.  I just finished with natural danish oil to bring out the color and figure.  May add a wipe on poly to the top later after the danish oil is fully cured.  Part of the challenge I like about this is working around the natural variations presented with live edge wood and how to bring it together into something that is functional but maintains the natural beauty as much as possible.  Once in awhile I wish for a simple 90 degree corner, but where is the fun in that! :laugh:

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Brad_bb

I don't think you're a real wood hoarder...that shop looks pretty clean in the photo!  Good to find a use for the smaller stuff.  I have a lot of that myself.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Downstream

My woodshop is kind of like controlled chaos.  I'm a bit of an organization freak because of my manufacturing business career background and training, but it is hard to keep up with all of the small pieces I create when doing a larger piece of furniture.  I'm always looking for a small piece of live edge to use as a support or such and I hate cutting into a larger slab for just a small piece.  Here is a photo of about a quarter of my "smalls".  I designed the rolling rack for a previous company to help organize anyone's woodshop.  Once again controlled chaos.  Nothing better than going into the stack and finding the right piece.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Brad_bb

Nothing wrong with 3S'ing, but it is kinda hard to deal with all the different size scraps that you will use down the road.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

rjwoelk

Heaven forbid if you should do a cleanup and throw out because you will need just those pieces. 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Thank You Sponsors!