iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HD 250 end of cycle questions

Started by Woodslabs, September 09, 2018, 09:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodslabs

Hi All, 

I run a HD250. I'm finishing off a small load of walnut 1000 (2 1/4 thick) or so of bf.  My drybulb is 120 but my wetbulb is around 88 (compressor off).  so RH is 30%.  Walnut ranges between 7-12%.  Is 30% too dry or towards the end of the cycle it doesn't matter?  Manual says it should be 98 drybulb but i cant maintain that humidity without adding tons of water to the kiln daily.  

Also with regards to conditioning do you keep the temperature at 120 drybuild and just add a lot of water?  Also how long do you condition for?
check out www.woodslabs.ca

Woodslabs

Another question, 

What do you guys do to get 2+ inch oak or walnut down to 6-7% in a woodmizer kiln?  Do you up the temp past 120 and if so for how long?
check out www.woodslabs.ca

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Go as hot as you can.  Run an EMC of 5.5 % EMC (or 5.0% EMC).  The wood cannot go under 5.5%.  Continue until the wettest is 7.5% MC.

Note that uniform, low final MC means conditioning goes faster and better.

If the compressor is off and the vent closed, the kiln should evaporate water from the wet lumber until you reach about 100% RH.  Yet, it seems you can't get above 30% RH.  So, in your case, either the WB or DB is incorrect, or the MC is incorrect, or water is getting out of the kiln somehow.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

You can lower the WB to 75 degrees and keep the compressor running until you get to 8%.  The moisture content in the wood is low enough now that running the compressor full out will not hurt the wood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!