iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pole saw / brush cutter recommendations

Started by reelman65, September 10, 2018, 04:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelman65

I need a pole saw and a brush cutter. I am just a small land owner, so I don't think I need pro models for those. Does anyone make a good combo system? I would like to have only one motor to maintain if possible. I might could get by with a cordless pole saw, but I am pretty sure I would need a gas brush cutter, got quite a few acres of under brush and 1-2 inch trees that need to go. I currently have Stihl and Husky equipment and Milwaukee cordless stuff.
have both Stihl and Husky service centers close by

as always, thanks
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

garyfg

If you have a generator black and  decker makes a pretty good 110 volt for around 100 bucks. I have one and really like it.

47sawdust

At the beginning of the summer I bought a Oregon 30 volt pole saw.I am very impressed with it.Not only do I use it as intended but also to do ground work w/o bending over.A second battery would be nice but haven't bought one yet.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Corley5

I've got the Echo with changeable attachments.  Have the string trimmer, pole chainsaw with an extension, brush cutter, and a leaf blower.  Nice machines that work good for us.  Lots of lawn care/landscapers in the area use Echo equipment. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

Corley5,what's the model number?
I need something. Looking at a battery type. A pole saw would be used,but not as much as some stuff I have. Probably would go through a couple chains the first year,than the 3rd chain would last for years. I've been looking for a couple years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

I have the Stihl Combi with string trimmer, chainsaw, hedge trimmer, and blower, plus one extension, very satisfied.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

I don't know what model it is ;D :)  I'll check tomorrow.  It's the midsize one.  I know that much :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

BargeMonkey

We swear by the echo's for weedeaters and the combination units, I would have to check what the model is I've got. Broom works great for cleaning off trailer decks. 😂 For a dedicated pole saw they do get heavy, we have an echo that extends 6ft ? but works good. The polesaw attachments also work great. 

sawguy21

Echo is good quality and reasonably priced, however Stihl or Husky might be better choicess with servicing dealers nearby.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

reelman65

thanks for the info. will let you know what i end up doing
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

Wudman

For the tools that don't get used much, I have gone to 110v electric.  I have a electric pole saw and a work platform off the back of my tractor.  I set the generator back there and go to work.  With the platform, my six feet of height, and six feet of handle on the saw I can reach to 20 feet or so without too much problem.  The pole will extend to 12 feet but it is too cumbersome for anything other than straight overhead work.  The benefits of electric.....you are not cleaning (or replacing) carbs every time that you need it.  Pick it up and it either runs or its junk.  I also have a 110v EarthWise mini tiller that gets used for the honey do work (flower beds).  It is amazing the power that little contraption has.  In my opinion, electric certainly has its application for those seldom used tools. 

As far as the brush saw, I have a brush blade for a 325LX Husky.  This is a upper end homeowner weed whacker (about 20 years old).  For stuff in the 1-2" diameter range, it works fine.  1" stuff is cut like grass.  2" stuff can be done.  3" can be done on occasion, but I break out the chainsaw for multiple stems.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

reelman65

Quote from: Wudman on September 13, 2018, 11:07:13 AM
For the tools that don't get used much, I have gone to 110v electric.  I have a electric pole saw and a work platform off the back of my tractor.  I set the generator back there and go to work.  With the platform, my six feet of height, and six feet of handle on the saw I can reach to 20 feet or so without too much problem.  The pole will extend to 12 feet but it is too cumbersome for anything other than straight overhead work.  The benefits of electric.....you are not cleaning (or replacing) carbs every time that you need it.  Pick it up and it either runs or its junk.  I also have a 110v EarthWise mini tiller that gets used for the honey do work (flower beds).  It is amazing the power that little contraption has.  In my opinion, electric certainly has its application for those seldom used tools.

As far as the brush saw, I have a brush blade for a 325LX Husky.  This is a upper end homeowner weed whacker (about 20 years old).  For stuff in the 1-2" diameter range, it works fine.  1" stuff is cut like grass.  2" stuff can be done.  3" can be done on occasion, but I break out the chainsaw for multiple stems.

Wudman
I have the same philosophy for cordless tools. anything not used frequently, i get corded and avoid the battery anxiety. oscillating tool, big sawzall, etc

gspren

Quote from: thecfarm on September 10, 2018, 09:14:20 PM
gspren,gas?
Yes, gas. I don't remember which engine but it's the bigger one, 4 stroke but mixed gas. I've been up in Maine near Bar Harbor and wasn't checking here too regular.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

woodmaker

I have a Stihl combi with a chainsaw pole saw,rubber broom and rototiller,with 1 extension ,probably 6 years old. I dont remember the power head model,but do remember it is the mid size one.I have been very happy with it.
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Maine372

another vote for the stihl kombi here. lots of attachments and good servicing dealer, not that I have needed service.

I have the chainsaw, strimmer, tiller, and leaf blower. I find that with one motor powering multiple attachments the fuel gets used before it can go stale and cause issues.

Thank You Sponsors!