iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Butternut Surprise

Started by 78NHTFY, September 18, 2018, 09:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78NHTFY

Had some nice dry home-grown Butternut I milled up for kitchen cabinet crown molding.  Put on two coats of Tung Oil and the figure, which was pretty much invisible beforehand, just popped out.  I was surprised, to say the least.  Should'a been used for furniture, but hopefully can be seem in my kitchen, with the right light.  All the best, Rob.

If you have time, you win....

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Downstream

Butternut always surprises me in a good way.  Wish I could find more it.  That molding should stand out in the kitchen.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

PA_Walnut

Looks just like quartered sycamore. 
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

SwampDonkey

Looks like cherry. I've never seen it in butternut and I have worked with some for projects.

Nice figure. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

78NHTFY

So here is where it ended up.......  This project is why I haven't been sawing near as much as I've wanted to.  It will be two years in Dec.  The face frames/doors/drawers I had custom made of maple from my drawings.  The wife is ready for this to be done!  On this side, the toe kicks, subway tile, undermount lights, new dishwasher still to go.  All the best, Rob.

SwampDonkey

You sure that ain't cherry? ;) I do know that butternut can have a pinkish hue, but it's the grain that looks cherry-like. It's a nice crown moulding. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

FLPINERAT

Wintergreen Mountain

1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

SwampDonkey

I think cherry and butternut are both semi-diffuse porous. :)

low_48

Huh, I thought butternut and walnut were nearly identical. Never seen a ray fleck in walnut. I'd have sworn that was cherry.  None of these pictures show medullary rays with some really nice end grain enlargements. No rays, no fleck. http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/butternut.htm

petefrom bearswamp

Sure is prettier than my butternut.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

georgecoolguy

Looks very nicely finished... What did you use for clear coat/top coat?

78NHTFY

Thanks georgecoolguy.  Just two coats of Tung Oil.  Fairly hard wood so didn't want it to look too shiny.  All the best Rob.

Peter Drouin

A very nice job you are doing there. smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

78NHTFY

Thanks Peter.  Amazing what you can get done if it takes you TWO YEARS TO DO IT!!! ;D.  All the best, Rob.

Thank You Sponsors!