iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Harvesting experience

Started by Rob30, October 10, 2018, 09:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob30

Hello all
I have 300 acres of mixed forest in Central Ontario. I have decided to put together some loads of poplar logs this winter, saw logs and pulp. The property has been selectively logged, but  still has a lot of nice wood. The previous owner made lots of skidding trails and 5 different landings.
I want to bring all logs to the front of the property so that I don't have to maintain a log road a transport can travel on. A creek divides the property in half. The bridge does not look suitable for a transport (although it has happened more then once). 
So I am wondering should I skid logs to a landing, process into log lengths, and forward them out with my hay wagon. Or should I skid the log lengths to the front landing then cut and pile? I am skidding with a 75hp tractor, and the poplar logs are big. I am guessing 30+ trips with the tractor.  300 acres is  a long way to skid.

Ron Scott

Do you know if a professional forester or logger was involved with laying out the previous selection harvests? If so I would stay with their original operation plan if possible. The logging infrastructure is already laid out which should simplify the future harvests unless you want to change the existing landscape for some reason.

You may have to do some bridge repairs or replacement to handle the wood haulers depending upon their weights. Not sure how you could handle the log loading and forwarding out to a landing/decking area with the hay wagon option.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!