iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

white cedar

Started by xlogger, October 13, 2018, 07:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I'm having a hard time telling the difference between Leland Cypress and White Cedar logs. I've looked on google at pictures of lumber and still can't really tell. Any ideas to tell them apart? 
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Ianab

Very similar woods.  ???

Locally at least the Leyland grows faster (wider growth rings) and the White Cedar has a more distinct sap / heart wood difference. 

The Leyland I've sawn had no real distinct line where the heartwood might start, while the Arborvitae was quite distinct change in colour.  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

I have never compared them.  One way to tell them apart would be the site where they were growing.  Atlantic white cedar grows in the pocosins and swamps.  Leyland cypress is an ornamental and is usually only found in cities and yards. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

moodnacreek

Does the Leyland drop it's needles in the fall?

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lxskllr

How about smell? Do they smell different?

Southside

Quote from: moodnacreek on October 13, 2018, 08:23:54 AM
Does the Leyland drop it's needles in the fall?
No. We have about 20 that I planted.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

xlogger

Quote from: WDH on October 13, 2018, 08:22:14 AM
I have never compared them.  One way to tell them apart would be the site where they were growing.  Atlantic white cedar grows in the pocosins and swamps.  Leyland cypress is an ornamental and is usually only found in cities and yards.
most of my logs come from log yards, so that will not work for me.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

wisconsitom

xlogger, just from your location...would it not be far more likely that you'd be dealing with the Leyland plant?  White-cedar is really only commercially logged in places from Maine to NE Minnesota, and adjacent parts of Ontario, Quebec, and New Brunswick.  Highly-confined range in US. Only those parts of country that are really "Canada South" as I like to say!

Thanks,
wisconsitom
Owner of white-cedar swamp and associated woodlands
Ask me about hybrid larch!

WDH

He is referencing Atlantic White Cedar.  Different species than your Northern White Cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!