iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying whole logs, for a while

Started by ScottyM, October 17, 2018, 11:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottyM

Greetings from NC.  I have managed to collect around 20 pieces of red oak, cherry and pecan that range from 16" to 20" in diameter and from 4 to 6 feet long.  I was looking to buy a Timbery M100 mill in the near future but our AC went out today so that may have to go on hold for a while. Can't convince my wife that the mill is more important than the AC, go figure!  Anyway, I have coated the ends with Titebond  II to reduce/prevent checking while I figure out the mill situation.  With all that said, is it ok to let the logs sit for a few months (or maybe longer) under cover prior to milling?     

Southside

Keep them off the ground and they will do fine.  Really don't need AC for the next several months..... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

The ends will dry faster than the innards and some logs will crack or maybe bust apart.  I havent tried it, but if your ends get direct sun i would consider shading them to slow down this imbalanced end drying issue.  A loose tarp or plywood, tin, garden cloth, truck bed liner etc.  But keep airflow available or mold for sure. 

If they sit in the dirt with bark the bugs will eat the cambium and trail up the sap wood in the first 6 months.  With bark removed and off the ground youre in pretty good shape for a year.  Mushrooms will get the outer half inch or so in a year.

Some spoil is a lot more tolerable in big logs. Spindly little things arent worth clinging to unless you plan on making dunnage and ties out of them.   A terrible looking log can make a fine tie.   
Praise The Lord

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

scsmith42

Hello fellow NC'er!

You should be ok.  Logs do not spoil as fast when the temperatures are below 50 degrees F.  I would not suggest tapping your stack though, as that may retain heat and humidity and cause a mold problem.

If you don't get a sawmill purchased by next spring you can always strike a deal with a miller.  There are quite a few FF members from NC.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!